Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth control

Default Birth control

I have my 6 week post partum appointment tomorrow. Advice on birth control? Is it safe...mini pill, other methods? Impact on supply? I didn't use birth control while bf my first daughter as we wanted another child, but we are 99.9% sure we are done. Feedback?
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

Default Re: Birth control

Well, I would wait until you're 100% sure you know you're done before you do something permanent, for sure. I use natural family planning and it works for us, but I know it's not for everyone (if you don't want to chart or abstain when you're fertile then it's probably not for you). I think I've heard different feedback on if the mini pill affects milk supply or not, I'm sure someone else will add her experience with hormonal birth control. Barrier methods could work, too, and wouldn't affect your supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I would never do anything permanent. You never know. I've charted and I'm pretty confident in knowing my fertile times, but I don't want an "oops". I suppose I am looking for feedback on the more reliable hormonal birth controls. I suppose I wonder about safety while nursing as well as long term safety for myself. Thanks for your input Krystine
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.

http://www.llli.org/docs/0_babupdate...updatefull.pdf if you scroll through to page 3 of contraception it looks like the progesterone only pill started at 6 weeks didn't hinder women from nursing for 12 months. If you chart and use a back up when you are borderline/potentially fertile you would really decrease the likelihood of a surprise baby, too.

My only word of caution is depoprovera. I had all the lousy side effects. I know this isn't true for everyone, but I personally had a very bad experience with it.

The mini pill I've heard good things about as long as you are regular about taking it.

I've used the mini pill three times. Didn't seem to affect my supply. You have to take it pretty religiously, though, at the same time every single day; otherwise your risk for something "slipping through" is a good deal greater than with the regular pill (which is more forgiving if you miss a day here and there). I actually didn't realize how religiously I should be taking the mini pill after my first two babies and was just lucky that my fertility didn't return until 2-3 months after I stopped taking it; this time, though, I'm positive I ovulated just a few weeks post-partum (before I started taking the pills), and so I'm being much more careful this time around. I use a feature on my cell phone to sound an alarm to remind me to take my pill, and so far I've only forgotten once (and we used a condom the next day to be safe).
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

You could also consider an IUD; which is not permanent but very low maintenance. I used the mirena (low dose hormonal) and didn't notice a change in supply. The other benefit to it is that it lightens periods and cramping. The paraguard is copper, doesn't have hormones, and is equally efficacious; for some women it makes cramping and periods a little worse. We think we're done after #2 is born, but I'll probably get an IUD just to make sure the baby making desires are totally gone for the year or two. Then my husband will probably get snipped. But we'll see. IUDs have a bad rep in this country (if you are in the US) because of the disaster of the IUDs in the 70s, but nowadays they are safe and effective.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

I had very bad side effects on hormonal birth control which is why I only took it for 4 weeks (I was so depressed and had to get off it, which is when I learned NFP).

What sort of birth control have you used in the past? What level of risk are you willing to accept?

All hormonal methods have the potential to negatively impact your supply. You want to absolutely avoid Depo Provera because it has a very high potential to impact your supply and if it does there's nothing you can do about it except wait for it to wear off. Combination estrogen-progestin methods (the pill, the patch, the vaginal ring, Implanon) are also not recommended for nursing moms due to their high potential to impact supply. That leaves you with 2 hormonal options: the progestin-only mini-pill and the Mirena IUD. They both have the potential to impact supply but it are relatively less likely to do so than the hormonal methods mentioned above. If choosing between the two, I advocate choosing the mini-pill because if you have a problem with it, it is immediately reversible. if you have a problem with Mirena, you have to wait for an appointment to get it removed.

If you like the idea of an IUD but want a non-hormonal option, ParaGard (the copper IUD) might be a good choice.

All the barrier methods- condom, diaphragm, cervical cap- are completely safe for breastfeeding and quite effective when used correctly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the last post. That's exactly what I needed to learn about. I have been on depo years ago and never want to use it again. I've also taken the pill. My husband worries about adding hormones to my body seeing that we try to minimize them in all other ways (I.e. hormones in food and dairy...but is that even comparable?) I've never heard of paragard before so thanks for telling me about it. I'll research it further. As far as barrier methods, I HATE condoms (which we used in between kids) and don't want that. So mini pill or IUD it is.
    Thanks again all