Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird anatomical question

Default Weird anatomical question

Hi, everyone! We gave birth to our second son, Jude, on July 5th. I breastfed my first son for 11 months so this is our second breastfeeding experience. I noticed that this time, when I compress my right breast to express milk, the not only does the milk come out of my nipple, but it also comes out of a little hole in a separate part of my areola. This did not happen when I bf my first son. anyone else experience this or know what this is or why it is happening?

~ Kelly

Default Re: Weird anatomical question

Sounds normal to me. From what I remember, it's to lubricate the latch. I have only seen it once or twice and nursed my first for 18 months and my son is still nursing at 22 months.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Default Re: Weird anatomical question

It's normal, if a little unusual. Some women have milk ducts that have their outlets somewhere other than the nipple. It can cause a little inconvenience with leaking, but it's not anything to worry about. It will likely subside with time- your baby is still so new and that usually means higher supply and more leaking.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"