Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Story

Default Re: My Story

My LO is 10 1/2 wks now. We've been successfully BFing for several week. I'm back to working full time now. He's at a sitter for 11 hrs w/no other babies or kids. The sitter is a former BFing mama and is very knowledgable about handling breast milk.

My dilemna- His feedings have no rhyme or reason. Last week he had some days where he was eating 3.5-5.5oz in one feeding and sleeping for long periods of time. For almost a week now he's been snack feeding at the sitter and at home. He'll only take 1 or 2 oz at the sitter and nap for an hour or less. Yesterday he had 6 feedings at the sitter. When he nurses; he'll nurse on 1 side for 5-10 mins and spit it out. If I try to offer the other side, he fusses. I try burping him and for 5-10 mins and nothing. He's nursing every 2 to 2 1/2 hours at home. I tried laid back nursing also. He still fusses. I had 1 good nursing this morning at 2am. He was asleep, but actively nursed on both sides. This morning before going to the sitter, he just snacked again. It's frustrating. I don't want it to mess up my milk supply so i'm pumping the side he didn't nurse on. He has plenty of wets and dirties. The wets are typically very wet and dirties are the right consistency.

Any thoughts as to what is going on?

Can anyone offer advice or their thoughts? We're still dealing with this.

The first thing that popped in my head is that your LO misses you being gone. You went from being his comfort constantly, to being substituted for a plastic bottle, even though it is wonderful that you are pumping and feeding milk while you are gone, it sounds like he is missing you. 11 hrs is a long time for your LO to be away from you. Give it some time. Eventually you will both hit a routine that works. And hang in there, other moms have delt with this before. It doesn't last forever and you are giving of yourself in such a wonderful way by breastfeeding.
    Last edited by @llli*littleturtlelove; August 28th, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: mis-typed
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011