Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Story

Default My Story

I'm a FTM w/a 6 1/2 wk boy. I'm overwhelmed w/how little I knew about breastfeeding and some bad advice I was given in the early days and weeks. I'd like to tell my story. If anyone sees and red flags or has any advice, please reply.

I had mastitis in my right breast when my LO was 2 wks. Very sore cracked nipples. I started EP due to the pain of nursing.

I started trying to nurse again last week. My left nipple is a little bigger and looks like a tube of lipstick when he stops nursing. Left nipple also looks like there's a crater in the middle. My right nipple is smaller and just looks smooshed flat when he's done. Both nipples are a pinkish purple color when I finish pumping (almost bruised colored). Nursing is painful when he latches then just uncomfortable the rest of the time. His latch looks ok. He has the fish lip look.

I have itchy burning feeling in my breast and sometimes my nipple when I nurse.

I can nurse for 30+mins on each side and he's still not satisfied. I pump off another 1-1.5 oz after nursing, top him off and he's good.

I would like to nurse when I'm home and bottlefeed while I'm at work, but I can't commit 1+hrs to nursing at night and work full time during the day and still be a coherent mom or wife.

I'm trying to increase my milk supply to prepare for when I go back to work in a wk and a half. So far i'm only 1-2 bottles ahead. I'm pumping every 2-3hrs and taking fenugreek. At 2hrs I get about 1/2 a bottle feeding. At 3hrs I get a full feeding. He's taking 3.5-4oz at each bottle feeding.

Thank in advance for any help or comments.

Default Re: My Story

Sorry you are having so many struggles mama!

The biggest red flags that stood out to me are:

* The lipstick nipple----could indicate latch issue or tongue tie
    * The burning/itching sensation---may be due to thrush

I would seek out some hands on help mama! Do you have a LC close by? Preferably an IBCLC?

* As far as the pumping goes...what kind of pump are you using?

good luck! I'm sure others will chime in with further advice!

The PP expressed just what I was thinking, only with a brevity I can never master! I would just add that the itching/burning sensation may be due to vasospasms, which would explain the purple color you see when you're finished pumping. I would try a larger size of shields, and see if that makes a difference.

Definitely see a LC, preferably an IBCLC. There's no substitute for hands-on help when you're struggling with a bad latch in a young baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the help. I'll look for an IBCLC in my area.

Good, let us know how it goes. Life will be much, much easier when nursing is no longer painful. Also, when you go back to work, make sure baby is being fed in a breastfeeding supportive way, this will help prevent many issues including overfeeding, a common issue. see http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Also, I am concerned about this:
    I'm trying to increase my milk supply to prepare for when I go back to work in a wk and a half. So far i'm only 1-2 bottles ahead. I'm pumping every 2-3hrs and taking fenugreek. At 2hrs I get about 1/2 a bottle feeding. At 3hrs I get a full feeding. He's taking 3.5-4oz at each bottle feeding.
    Do you mean you are waiting a certain amount of time to pump, in order to be able to pump more at a session? Are you also waiting a certain amount of time between nursing sessions? Because neither of these is a good idea. Your body is continuously making milk, so you can nurse or pump anytime. And the key to increasing milk production is FREQUENT removal of the milk from the breasts-anytime milk sits in the breasts, it causes your body to get the signal to make less milk.

Also, Pumping when you are nursing around the clock as well is totally different from pumping during separations-basically right now (while you are home and nursing as well) you are asking your body to produce EXTRA milk at each pumping session, while when you are at work you will be pumping as a substitute for nursing at that time. So if you are making 2 ounces per session now that is quite a lot. I would also suggest to be very careful that pumping is not causing MORE nipple pain or damage. If it is, your pump or how you pump should be looked at as well.

Some moms find that their planned timetable for returning to full time outside the home employment post birth is not going to work well with the actual demands of new motherhood. Sometimes just an extra week or 2 of breathing room can allow a mom to return to work with more confidence in her ability to make it all work. Other moms find that going back part time at first helps. By doing what you can to support your ability to breastfeed as long as you want, you are going to save a lot of money that you would have spent on formula.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. The advice the pp's gave is great. I just wanted to let you know a little about my story in case it helps at all.

If you are pumping 2 oz every 2 hours and 4 oz every 3 hours, that's actually a pretty good supply. I was under the impression that I would have a lot more milk, especially with my best friend being a cow, lol, but I have found that it is great is you are able to produce 25-33 oz a day, then you're right where you need to be.

For me, the issue is our latch. I thought it looked good, and was told it did in the early days of breastfeeding, but have since seen an IBCLC, and know that our latch is not good . . . hence the lipstick looking nipples. We are still working on getting our latch down. I have found that it is difficult for us because he is so used to me just giving him the bottle. I never waited for him to open wide before giving it to him, so now when we latch during breastfeeding, he isn't opening s=wide enough to get more than my nipple in his mouth. As a result, my nipple is near his hard palate, instead of further back where it needs to be. That is what creates the lipstick looking nipple. The few times I've been able to get a good latch, where he actually nurses, and doesn't need supplementing afterwards, there has been absolutely zero pain while nursing . . . not even an uncomfortable feeling. I can feel the same tugging I feel with the pump, and that's it.

I hope you're able to find an IBCLC close to you. Mine has helped me figure out our issues, and I have a plan to get us back on track. You might trying calling the hospital you delivered at. Mine has a few IBCLC's on staff, and they see me for free. Otherwise, you can look for one in your area with this site: http://www.ilca.org

I hope things work out for you soon. I know how emotionally draining it can be to pump so often, nurse for so long, and still have to supplement. It's like your life consists of nothing else. ((hugs))

Thank you for the website. I was having trouble finding an IBCLC in may area, but I found one on the website.

I feel like giving up at least once a day, but we're still going.

I can't give you any more advice than the pp's have done already. Just wanted to give some support - stick in there and it'll get better soon! I had a bit of a struggle with my DS but I stubbornly kept at it and managed to bf for 8 months.

Once you get hands on help you'll be fine ;-)
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

We're back at the breast! I'm offering the breast every 2 hrs and he's taking it. Still having latch issues. I've left 3 mssgs with an IBCLC, but no response. We have a good latch every now and then. I've watched several videos and read instructional articles.

I'm still supplementing a couple of feedings with a small bottle, but it's gradually lessening. We're working on shorter feeding times and sleeping for more than 2hrs at night.

I'm trying to keep him on the first breast until he's done, but he never gives me any cues that he's done. I've literally kept him on 1 side for an hour (he falls aslee alot). And he still acts like he's not done. I took him in for a weight check today. He gained 1lb in 10 days. That's about how long we've been trying to nurse again, so I know he's eating. Why won't he come off the 1st breast? Shorter feedings would mean much needed sleep for me.

Have you tried breast compressions while he feeds (but when he stops sucking/dozes off)? Compressing the breast might help him remember to keep working and get him to empty the breast better. Some babies can nurse adequately off of one breast (my last 2 LO's were like this, 1 breast every 2-3 hrs) which may allow you to pump the other side/store away for work. I'd be wary if you experience any engorgement/plugged ducts though since I see some mastitus in your history there.

Glad to hear that baby is back to the breast!!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.