Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brestfeeding in public(long)

Default Brestfeeding in public(long)

I have only done it a few times and ever since my son has decided he does not like to be covered because than he cant see my face or put his hand to my lips for kisses it makes it harder. I have in the last month or 2 felt confined to only nursing at home and I feel this is truly unfair to my 8 year old who would love to go to go out and do things. I really dont want to have to feel like I have to go feed my son in bathroom or lock my self in the car when I am out. I honestly would love to be able to bf uncovered in public than I can make sure I am not smothering him with my extremely large breasts and avoid the fight of the cover with him. I was looking around to see what the laws are for my state and one woman commented that she feels that women who BF uncovered are trying to seek attention and lack decency. I was fairly up set since I feel the struggle to keep the cover up with my son would draw more attention than with out and that I would lack decency if I was to do it with out a cover.Its not like I would be pulling my hole breast out for others to see just enough for my son to feed or yelling and screaming hey look at me best bet I would be finding a place out of the way of most on lookers thats fairly quite to nurse my son. Anyways from what I have read the State of California I can nurse publicly any place my kids and I can go unless its someones house and they say no. It doesn't say I have to be covered or not. Any one know if you can be uncovered in California and if so any ideas on how to do it in a modest way?

Default Re: Brestfeeding in public(long)

http://www.californiabreastfeeding.org/laws.html

"Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, except the private home or residence of another, where the mother and the child are otherwise authorized to be present."

As far as I know, there is no state that requires you to cover up; in fact some states explicitly exempt breastfeeding from public indecency statutes. There will always be people who disapprove. I have, however, never had anyone say anything negative to me through bfing three kiddos.

Go for it.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I have gotten ton of dirty looks doing it covered when he was younger. I know I will get more if I do it uncovered but at this point I want what is best for my son not a fight with him about keeping covered with a blanket just stresses the both of us out. I also dont want to feel like I have to go hide as if I am doing something wrong or dirty. Heck most people show off more skin at the beach than most of women I have seen in breast feeding pictures. I guess im just frustrated with how people act about for the most part.

That makes me really angry. Why should people get snotty because you are feeding your baby properly? Forget them. The only thing that can explain such appalling behavior is downright ignorance.

Have you tried nursing while babywearing? I nurse my son a lot in a sling when he was small and in an Ergo when he got a little bigger. It's very discreet (not that you need to be discreet, but it might help your comfort level), and I found that it helped him nurse more effectively during his distracted phases because the motion of me walking was very calming for him.

I also dress in a way that gives my son easy access to my breasts so I'm not fumbling around trying to get a breast out. I often wear a tank or cami under a button down top or tee. I don't mind my breast showing so much, but I don't like showing off my belly so I always wear something I can pop my breast out the top. It may be different for you, so just try out some different tops to see what you are most comfortable in.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I like the tank or cami idea. I also liked to wear (when it was cooler) a cardigan or a button front shirt over my shirt. For some reason I never was particularly bothered about pulling my shirt out to nurse but somehow having my back show sort of wigged me out.

And, the truth is, there are some people out there who will frown at you whatever you are doing with your kid. You are dressing them too hot, you are dressing them too cool, you don't have the right snacks, you should be watching them more closely, you should let them have more freedom, etc.

As my SIL would say, "Whatevs." By NIP you are doing two good parenting things--giving your baby great nutrition and letting your older one get out to play.

And my LO likes to put his hand up for kisses too. It is better than when he tries to pinch my skin when I wear a v-neck.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I all ways have on shirts where I can more or less pull it out easy from the top. Down side my bra strap off to get my breast out since they don't make nursing bras in my size. I have tried the 34 L at the bra shop near my house and it is smaller than my normal 34 KK. I know TMI but thats where my struggle is for the most part is just the size of them makes breast feeding so hard in public. Trying to juggle a wiggly 5 month old and a breast that is as big is a challenge with in itself at times. It has allowed for me to feed in some very odd ways like laying on my living room floor boob over my shoulder so my son and I are cheek to cheek. I get to give him lots of kisses than and he will stop feeding to give me a big slobbery wet kiss back. I do have a Moby but and he loves to be in it and I have tried to feed him in but its really hard to get my son just right and my breast. If any of you lady's are extremely large(nothing against those who are not) I would love to hear any tips you might have on how you might have nursed using a wrap like the Moby or anyone at this point. Thank you all though you have help me not bashing me for being willing to do it uncovered I was really worried about that. It is also nice to know other women out there have body hang ups like I do when I feed. Oddly though I have all ways been ashamed of how large my breast were since I all ways seemed to get the wrong attention and BF has helped me get over some of it since I love to BF my son and if people have a issue with the fact I use them for what they are made for than oh well because best bet they are the same people who had a issue with me just because I am very busty.

Don't let online negativity influence your breastfeeding decisions. Trust me, the people who make inflammatory comments on the internet are generally a) dumb as toast and b) complete cowards. They're the sort of people who enjoy seeing feathers fly, but they're unlikely to wander up to you and berate you for nursing your baby. And if they do, just smile and let them know that people who are offended by breastfeeding are probably staring too hard. Self-confidence is a nursing mom's best defense.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

one woman commented that she feels that women who BF uncovered are trying to seek attention and lack decency.
    Was this online? Look, if we all lived our lives based on what some idiots say online we would all be frozen neurotics, kwim? If it was someone you know, then you can make the choice to ignore it or educate the person. But for pities sake do not let strangers comments rule the way you chose to parent, comfort and feed your children.

I live in California and you absolutely have every right to nurse your CHILD (it does not even say baby) in any PUBLIC or PRIVATE place you are allowed to be-and you do NOT need to be covered in any way. The ONLY exception is the private residence of someone who objects.

This means your right to nurse is protected anywhere in any mall, park, playground, restaurant, store, street corner, parking lot, sidewalk, plane, boat, bus, train, light rail, trolley car, museum, waiting at the classroom to pick your older child up from school, Disneyland, State Fair, beach, mountain top, and floating down the American River in a raft if that is your thing. ETC. You do NOT have to go find the family friendly restroom or nursing lounge even if one is provided.

If anyone tells you to cover up or move, pull out the law and simply & calmly say "I am legally allowed to nurse my child here according to the civil code of the state of California. Please stop harassing me."
    If someone gives you the hairy eyeball, just ignore it or smile back.

Oh and if you wish to be discreet for your own comfort, I suggest practice in front of a mirror. I also suggest going to a LLL meeting, breastfeeding moms playdate or mommy and me at your hospital where you can watch other moms nurse and take mental notes.

Pay no attention to negative comments from others. People who say things like that are ignorant and would best be helped by a kind word in return, such as all the benefits of nursing. Remember, you know what is best for your child. If when you go out and NIP, feeling confident and good about it, you may feel less apprehensive about what people may or may not say to you I agree with the other poster-- wear clothing that makes it easy for you and makes you feel comfortable to NIP! I wear nursing tanks, or nursing tops (I love my cross front styles I've gotten from japanese weekend and gap). And feel good knowing that everyone who sees you NIP will be that much more aware of and used to it.