Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mouths everything, how do i know when she's ready

Default Mouths everything, how do i know when she's ready

My 6mo is exploring her world via her mouth as babies do. She also is very interested in watching us eat. I want to do BLS, but the kid would eat a paper bag if I let her. How do I know when to give her something to actually swallow. She has gummed an apple, but I'm afraid to try anything mushy in case she really isn't ready. Any advice?

Default Re: Mouths everything, how do i know when she's ready

Start with grated apple. Or some avocado. Or some soft sweet potato.

All of my kids first meal was paper and they all survived.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Mouths everything, how do i know when she's ready

I did BLS with DD2 and now DD3. Even though she's my 3rd, I was scared. I actually posted a few threads here and got great advice.

First of all, I took this from Kellymom's website about readyness:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

Now, IME I realized that it's not that easy for a baby to put an entire piece of food (or anything else) in her mouth. I started with foods that would mash easily like sweet potato cut in long pieces, avocado, broccoli well cooked, zucchini (peeled). Once I felt comfortable and realized how hard it was for her to really take a big bite, I started to give her whatever we were eating. She's a pro now with only 8 mo haha

I waited until she was 7 mo but she showed interest in what we were eating before she could sit up unsupported but if I had to go back, I would wait until she could do that. I say this because she really got a hang of it once she sat without help.

You can always try and then wait if you think she's not ready