Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing cues

Default Re: Nursing cues

I used to nurse to sleep all the time when he was younger but have been scared off into not doing it as it's supposed to set bad habits. I'm not sure if you can share your thoughts based on your experience. I nurse in bed a lot because I have a hand injury (mommy's thumb).

I also have no real schedule for naps. It seems too unnatural to be scheduling naps and feedings at this age. What do you think?

My son was a lot like that. Same thing, 20 lb at 4 months (bet that's where you got the tendonitis, hehe, a sling might be your best friend for toting him about the house), a big fighter when it came to naps, even when he was rubbing his eyes and I was bringing him into bed and nursing him to get him to relax and settle. The bottom line for us was that he just needed less nap time than other babies, I guess. Soon after I only worked on getting him to sleep for a nap less (I think he had been doing three and was transitioning to two), the two nap situation worked better, even though he still only slept for 15-40 minutes. The last couple weeks (he's 8mo) have actually been a lot better: now that he's beginning to be mobile, he's burning up energy and needing the naps, and actually sleeps for a good stretch in the afternoon. Nursing to sleep won't be setting a bad habit (I think the people who say that are mostly people who spent many hours swinging/walking/driving/etc their babies to sleep and are just jealous of the power of the boob ), I'd say just do it if it helps you get him down, you know? Why make naptime even harder? I bet once you both start getting into a routine of naps, you'll feel better rested.

Thanks. It's kind of a relief to hear that someone else had a 20 lb 4 month old. Yes the mommy's thumb is to be expected.

I love nursing in bed and believe that he will sort out naps soon enough. Still everyone seems so focused on sleep training. It's hard not to get sucked in.

I agree with what everyone else has said. I would just offer to nurse more often during the day, regardless of if he is obviously cueing or not. My son doesn't have very obvious hunger cues, never did. He can go a good 4 hours without 'complaining' or but I think it's just that he's a laid back baby and doesn't fuss until he's starving. I try to offer every 2 hours or so, or whenever he shows any sign of interest. If he's fussy for no apparent reason I often offer the boob even if he just ate and often he'll take it. It does sound like you must have a very good milk supply and may be making more than he needs if he's 20 lbs, feeding 5-6 times per day, and only taking one breast per feeding. Still, even with oversupply, there is no harm (and possibly some benefit) to offering more often. I wouldn't worry about the nursing-to-sleep either, that's a habit you can break later if you need to. If you have another satisfactory way of getting him to sleep that's fine, you don't need to start nursing to sleep, but if it works and makes your life easier there's nothing wrong with that. Good luck!

I used to nurse to sleep all the time when he was younger but have been scared off into not doing it as it's supposed to set bad habits. I'm not sure if you can share your thoughts based on your experience. I nurse in bed a lot because I have a hand injury (mommy's thumb).

I also have no real schedule for naps. It seems too unnatural to be scheduling naps and feedings at this age. What do you think?
    I personally find it infuriating when people tell moms to not nurse their babies to sleep. If you don’t want to do it, OK, that is your decision. But I have no idea what bad habits this is supposed to instill or what research backs up any such contention. This advice robs breastfeeding moms of one of the great perks of breastfeeding-that nursing is often a really easy, restful and effective method to gentle a baby into sleep. I find it funny that people get up in arms about this but think nothing of sticking baby in an electric swing or driving them around for hours to get them to sleep. Nursing baby to sleep is easier and better for the environment too!

Seriously, if you ask a room of breastfeeding moms if they nurse their babes to sleep, almost every hand goes up. I know, I have done it, because this subject comes up all the time at LLL meetings. It is a normal and healthy part of being a baby. The hormones released when mother nurses baby relax both mother and baby-this is all by nature's brilliant design.

I agree no reason at all to be scheduling naps. Most likely, over time, your baby will naturally fall into a nap pattern that will become obvious. (And then as soon as you have rearranged your whole life to make it work, it changes!)