Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nervous about baby's weight, fever for a solid week, ????

Default nervous about baby's weight, fever for a solid week, ????

Hi there. I'm a little distraught, trying to stay calm for my sake but mainly the LO's. He will be 12 weeks tomorrow. Here's the deal: a week ago he seemed abnormally warm, and a little puny, so I took him to my Ped. He has been running a low grade fever ever since, by the way. I had posted about this in the beginning, wondering about my milk, if anyone is following. She concluded it was viral and nothing to worry about. WEll it's been a week of consistent fever, 99-100, sleepy, puny, and not very interested in nursing as much. I have been trying to offer even more frequently to nurse, nervous about his weight and keeping up my supply.Took him to Ped again today, just dont feel comfortable with this. She was not concerned at all again. She checked him out all over, and his weight the first scale concluded he lost ONE POUND. I about fell over, but the nurse concluded that it was wrong, needed recalibrated and then took us to another scale. (WHAT THE??) It then showed he had lost 1/2 of an ounce. Last TUES he was at 13'9. Today it was 13'8 1/2 on a different scale than normal. ALL weights have been w/o diaper in the nude. I am SUPER nervous about this. The Ped. said it was completely normal given he has been fighting a virus for a week, and that she was please he hadn't lost more which would have also been normal. Just FYI his wets have been fine but less than normal, 7-10 a day, normal 8-12 and his BM's have been MUCH more frequent and very liquid, a few green, just much more than normal since about 6 weeks. Ladies, please help me with any input. I want to trust my Ped, she is very pro bf and knowledgable. But Im just worried. please help!

Default Re: nervous about baby's weight, fever for a solid week, ???

doctors typicaly freak out about ANY weight loss so I would think, if a good pediatrician is feeling like this is OK, then it's probably OK. I am particularly pleased they bothered to do a second weight check when the first was so alarming. Proof again that often a babies supposed weight loss or lack of gain is actually due to the SCALE being off.

On the other hand I believe moms should follow their instincts, as you know your baby best and no one cares as much about your baby as you do. So if you are concerned maybe you could seek a second opinion? I do not see this as a breastfeeding problem, breastmilk is the very best thing for a sick baby to have.
    See this article for more about breastfeeding the ill baby: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/

Yes Meg, I am pleased she did do a second weight check on another scale. I can DEFINITELY see how these minor mistakes can cause major problems and unnecessary worries. I do feel my Ped. is good, she also said he does NOT need Pedialyte at all, only breast milk, she is pretty up to date with modern nursing thought. But just not that in depth, ya know. Like once she said, if you pump, just wait an hour after you nurse for your breasts to fill up. ?
    Great article by the way. Thanks! Good to know.
    I think I just want to hear that 12 week old ebf babies do get sick it can last for a week + and it is normal. I feel somewhat guilty that it happened/still happening.

Well I would be nervous if my baby had a fever for a week too! My youngest got a cold at two weeks which really bummed me out but it was nothing lasting or serious. But I have no idea if an illness like this at this age is normal or not. As far as it being normal for a ebf baby, unfortunately while, statistically speaking, formula fed babies in general are sick more often and with more severity than breastfed babies, breastmilk is not able to prevent any and all illness.

Have you looked at Dr. Sears website or in The Baby Book?

here's the Dr Sears page on fevers: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/chi...llnesses/fever
    He says that a temp of up to 99 is normal, 100 is low grade. a lot of viruses run their course in a week or two, so you just might have to wait it out a little longer.
    I know how scary fevers can be. my dd ended up with roseola at 12 months old. she ran 102-104 for a week. I almost had a heart attack. hang in there mamma and if your gut tells you that something is really wrong, look for a second opinion.
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

Ok ladies, thanks for the recommendations I did check out the link and the Baby Book. Love Dr Sears! Seems like it is all text book what he is going through. The fever has always been 99-100. I am watching him like a hawk and will keep posted what goes on. Seems like a long time but it did say it could last this long. ??? Never heard of anyone I know though, having a babe with fever longer than a week! Praying through this. I have my Ped. cell and we are texting about it as well. tbc.......