Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can lip tie affect latch?

Default Can lip tie affect latch?

Sorry for the multiple posts. I just keep stumbling on things that could be hindering our success with breastfeeding, and they don't seem as though they're related at all. lol

I have had issues breastfeeding all of my children. I've never been able to get a good latch. I had heard of tongue tie, and had all of them checked for it, and they were all fine in that regards.

Someone mentioned lip tie to me yesterday, which I had never heard of, but they all have it! My husband had a huge gap in his front teeth because of his lip tie, which he didn't correct until he was 18 years old. My boys all have the same gap. My newest little one is three and half weeks old (and clearly has the upper lip tie as well), and I am still struggling to get a good latch.

At this point, I am almost exclusively pumping. I am trying to feed him with the SNS, but he has a difficult time extracting the milk from that as well. Could the lip tie e hindering his ability to latch correctly?

He doesn't open his mouth very wide at all, and I have very large nipples. Our latch is very shallow, and my nipples come out looking like lipsticks, and he is barely transferring any milk (at least according to the one pre and post weight check I've had done). He's gotten to the point where he cries if I try to breastfeed him because he's so frustrated that he can't get the milk out.

Thank you!

Default Re: Can lip tie affect latch?

You should see an IBCLC and an ENT, as yes, it can interfere with BFing and latch for some kids. You can also get pointers on getting him off the bottle and back on the breast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

An upper lip tie can interfere with latch depending on how tight it is. Does your son's lip flare out when latching or does it roll in? Both of my children have significant lip ties, but they are not tight and both can latch just fine. Regardless, it sound like you are having some serious issues so definitely see an IBCLC.

see an IBCLC lip ties can make a difference I think it's rare to find an upper lip tie without a tt. The fact that your LO is having trouble opening wide makes me think there may be a tt also, there are multiple kinds and not all are easily recognizable. So I would also think about seeing an ENT as well. Check here to see if there's A dr near you that's BFing friendly and trained to recognize tts.
    http://lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Thank you for your replies. His is an upper lip tie, and his lip neither rolls out or in. It kind of just sits straight (maybe a little inward if I had to pick a direction). I saw an IBCLC, but she didn't know if it affected it or not. She suggested I talk with my pedi, and then call her and tell her what he said. lol

She did look for a tongue tie though, and said it looked fine. He can't stick his tongue out, but he has no issues sticking it up. The frenulum(?) is pretty far back.

I'll try to get an appointment with an ENT. Thanks, again.

That sounds like it could be a posterior TT if he can't stick his tongue out. Do not wait on this. And see a second IBCLC. Either than was not up to snuff or was not board certified.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!