Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night time weaning

Default Re: Night time weaning

I'm sorry Kim. I don't know anything that will help. I don't imagine that I will be night-weaning Trixie, although my situation is not as bad as yours, because I wouldn't want her crying for me either.

I'm sure you have - but have you tried slipping the pacifier into his mouth at night while he's nursing?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Actually no, I haven't done that. I've tried the finger switch though and he doesn't fall for it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I completely understand where you are coming from. I just can't take listen to my LO cry. It goes against every fiber of my being! I've tried to do the Dr. Gordon method now twice and was not able to go through with it. I think she just isn't ready yet. I'll be trying it again in a few months. I too am going back to work in 2 weeks so I don't want her to have too many changes at once. When you nurse laying down, do you put a pillow behind your back? That helps me when I have to lean towards her to nurse. Make sure it's a really supportive pillow not a little one. I also am not the best sleeper so I can't sleep through nursing and it usually takes me a little while to get back to sleep. I sometimes wonder if my LO is the same way and that's why she needs so much night time parenting. Sorry that I don't really have much advice. I just wanted you to know I'm in the same boat with you. Maybe we can get through it together. Let me know if you figure out the secret! I hope you get more sleep tonight.
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

I use a body pillow behind my back. It does help for sure. Thanks for the commiserating. How old is your little one?

She's 17 months. Was last night any better?
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

He woke before I even went to sleep myself and my husband went to him. Took him some time but there wasn't any crying so that's good. When he woke at 4:30 he came into bed and actually didn't give me too much of a problem with taking my nipple away after a certain amount of time. But I was prepared to have my husband intervene. Thanks!

We night weaned while bed sharing at 27 mos. I was pregnant and it was too painful to nurse and dose off and she was old enough I really felt like it was fine. She cried a lot the first 3 nights and my husband got her up for water and a snack and it was really really hard to not nurse her when she was crying so much but I didn't want to be so tired and really needed the sleep. So we got through it and she figured out that nummies need to sleep too and she doesn't nurse at night. So, we did get through it while still co-sleeping but it was hard. I talked to her a lot about how she would nurse in the rocking chair before bed and once we went to bed the nummies would sleep and she could nurse in the morning.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

That's awesome, Kim.

I wanted to chime in that we couldn't easily co-sleep without nursing WHILE weaning, but after a few nights of DH taking over bedtime and getting her in the middle of the night, she was great about going to sleep with cuddling instead of nursing even if she ended up with me in bed. Hope the good pace continues. Glad you will be getting some more rest.

Thanks Ladies. I feel so bad even considering a night wean while he's still transitioning to daycare. But at the same time, this boy has never slept. When does it end?!?!

Big picture, well rested mommy=means more focused mommy. The overall benefit is worth it. What he will be missing in nursing he will be gaining in quality (and healthy!) time with you. He'll need the rest for daycare, too. Try not to be hard on yourself. You're doing it gently, and he will still get his mom cuddles in.