Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best way to start a bottle or sippy?

Default Best way to start a bottle or sippy?

My husband and I go on a trip every year, it's an overnight stay with no kids. My LO is EBF just starting to play with food, and will be 8 months when we would go. Any tips on how to get her on a bottle or sippy so she isnt upset if I leave...

Thanks!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Best way to start a bottle or sippy?

It sounds like there are two questions here -- 1) how to introduce a bottle or sippy, and 2) how to help your baby cope with the separation while you're gone. You are far more than a feeding device to your baby, of course , so even with another way for a caregiver to feed her, she may well still be upset when you leave.

Who will be watching your kids while you're gone? Would it be possible for that person to spend some time with your baby before the trip and be the one to offer her the bottle or sippy?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Best way to start a bottle or sippy?

It would be my mom if I'm able to get her comfortable with a bottle or sippy by then. I hadn't thought about letting someone else try to feed her the bottle or cup, I kinda get used to doing it all If I can get her to take the bottle or cup I would start leaving her for longer periods to see how she does. If she doesn't handle it, then I definitely wouldn't go. I can't just leave my kids, I have to know they will be with somebody who would do everything they can to keep them happy. My mom would do that. DD2 was about the same age when we left her and DD1 with my sister to go, but we FF and left her a few times for date nights before that.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still