Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Probiotics to prevent thrush

Default Probiotics to prevent thrush

I am about a week from being due with my 3rd baby and I am hoping to prevent the onset of thrush (which I developed directly after birth after my first two - no antibotics used during birth). I have been taking 150 billion of probiotics for months now. I am curious if anyone has had enough experience with this to say if this will be enough or not?
    Mamma of two girls and another on the way!!

Default Re: Probiotics to prevent thrush

No experience with your situation, but the proactive probiotic approach certainly sounds like the right thing to be doing! It certainly can't hurt.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Taking probiotics could really help, and it definitely won't hurt. You can also break open a capsule and apply directly to your nipples after the baby is born, as a preventative measure (the little bit the baby will get will help protect him/her against thrush as well). Don't use soap on your nipples - just rinse with water, salt water, or even dilute vinegar (to keep the pH more acidic). Even if you do get thrush, with these precautions, it's less likely to get severe.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I took probiotics with around that count and still developed a mild case, but I treated it with grapefruit seed extract and it went away soon after that. Hope it goes well for you!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    You can also break open a capsule and apply directly to your nipples after the baby is born, as a preventative measure (the little bit the baby will get will help protect him/her against thrush as well).
    This is a good idea, particularly one that contains Lactobacillus acidophilus because it is known to prevent colonization by yeast through the byproducts of it's metabolism. You can even start now in an attempt to establish a healthy skin flora, and try not to use antibacterial soaps.

Only a very small fraction of the human normal flora is known so probiotics are not garuanteed to work, but they might help and certainly shouldn't hurt.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).