Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent feeding

Default Frequent feeding

Hi there, I have lurked around here for a bit and got some good advice and tips. I am posting because I need suppourt I guess. My son is 2 months old (9wks) and I have been breastfeeding him. He started out taking 1 hour to feed and would eat every 3 hrs. Around 6 wks (after his growth spurt) he shortened up to about 20 min but now wants to eat hourly. I don't want to give up on this, I really really don't however its getting overwhelming. I wish I had family around here but I have nobody to really help me. My husband is great with the baby, he'd do anything and everything but he works 60+ hrs a week and is hardly ever here. Going to the store is a challenge when he wants to eat hourly.
    I would think I was doing something wrong, however he goes 5-7 hours at night so he's getting enough. Im just struggling to get anything else done, and honestly I at least need to eat so i can feed him. Im feeling frustrated, tired and overwhelmed. Please tell me he will space out or something soon! I get really upset thinking about giving up, so anything would be helpful!

Default Re: Frequent feeding

He will space feedings out I promise. In the meantime have you tried wearing him in a sling or wrap...lifesavers if you need to get stuff done at this stage.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making it to 9 weeks of nursing! That's an awesome accomplishment and if you got this far there's no goal you can't reach.

With regard to your baby's nursing frequency, you're not doing anything wrong. On the contrary, by nursing on demand you are doing everything right. The fact that your baby is sleeping 5-7 hours at night is proof: it means that you're giving him enough calories during the day that he's able to go a long stretch without needing to eat. (Nevertheless, don't expect that long sleep stretch to last forever: once teething kicks in- and that can happen at around 3-4 months- many babies start waking a lot at night even when they're getting plenty to eat during the day.)

Nursing every hour is normal for such a young baby, and it won't last forever, I promise! Eventually your baby will go more than an hour between feedings, and even if he continues to nurse every hour he's not always going to take 20 minutes to do it! The world is going to be too interesting for him to want to spend 20 minutes just nursing. By a few months of age, most babies can get a full feeding in just 5-10 minutes. Also, as he gets bigger and stronger and gains more physical control, nursing is going to get easier because he won't need as much help with positioning. That will free your hands up to turn pages, talk on the phone, eat, use the remote... And if you can master nursing in a sling, you'll be able to do almost any task you can think of while nursing.

Do you have a sling? If so, now's a great time to start using it. It's also a good time to think about learning how to nurse in public (NIP) so that you don't feel so trapped in the house. It's easy to NIP discreetly if you have the right tools (the right clothes, a well-stuffed diaper bag that can double as an on-the-go nursing pillow, a cover if you so choose, and confidence!).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

First of all thank you, sometimes all you need is to hear its normal and won't last. I don't have a sling I have a wrap and we do use it, probably not enough. I have gotten as far as nursing in my car, braver than I was but not yet there! Working on NIP, slowly and I admire those that do it without a thought, sadly I come from a family that thinks its gross, oh well I don't! I do pump some (it's challenging when hes on me all the time) usually when he sleeps at night and IF he naps so I sometimes take a bottle with me if I am nervous. If you promise it gets better : )
    I would be heartbroken if I gave up I know it.

I would be heartbroken if I gave up I know it.
    Hold onto this. I have seen so many moms who did 'give up' early on due primarily due to exhaustion, not knowing what is 'normal' and/or a lack of support (rather than actual serious breastfeeding issues which is a bit different) and they call me up or come to meetings weeks and even months later, so upset because they want to nurse again and now face a real uphill battle as they are no longer producing enough and/or baby won't latch. These are heartbreaking situations for everyone!

In my experience most moms who stick it out come to a place where nursing begins to work for them as moms, before they realize what is happening, they find they do not know what they would do if they did not have nursing to so easily comfort and connect all while feeding baby. I have been amazed at the moms I have talked to who sounded so utterly done in the early months I was sure they would wean right then and there, and then they call me months later asking about toddler meetings!

If you never get to such place, just remember you can always stop nursing and switch to formula. But once you make the switch to formula, in just a short time it becomes very difficult and eventually nearly impossible to come back to nursing. If you are done, you are done, and you will know it and have peace with it.

Not every mom falls in love with nursing. I even have a good friend who is a LLL Leader who never truly loved nursing her kids. We are all individuals and have different responses to things. But I have never heard a mom say “I wish I stopped nursing sooner.”

I just wanted to 2nd the idea of getting The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I keep it on my nightstand and crack it open when my baby wakes up at night to feed. It's like having a companion cheering you on in the wee hours. Highly recommend it!

Hang in there it will get better soon. You may not notice at first because it may be slowly but one day soon you'll suddenly realize your baby isn't as needy has he once was. For us that was around 3.5 mo but I think I had a very needy newborn. Great suggestions about the sling. I could never get the hang of nursing in one. But it let DS sleep 'on' me while I did things like shop or do a few thing around the house. Also, take care of yourself body and mind before the house. If you get the chance to put him a sling or stroller go for a walk get outside. This helped me a lot more than I realized it would and I knew I needed it.

There have been a lot of similar posts and after reading and hopefully lending support to them all. I'm actually kind of missing it now. Soak up this time. From here on out it is a daily lesson in letting them grow up and be independent. My DS has just started the last couple of days getting mad when we hold him too much because he can't play with his toys. He isn't even crawling yet.

You can do it!
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

double post sorry
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!