Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: possible clogged ducts?

Unhappy possible clogged ducts?

I'm a new mom & have 6 wk old. Since the 1st wk we came home, I've had stringy white stuff in my milk when I pump. Occassionally hanging from my nipple after I pump/nurse. This stuff clogs the bottle nipple when I bottle feed. I have to strain my milk everytime I pump.

I get a couple of ounces per breast and the stringy stuff is in both breasts. I'm pumping ever 2-3 hrs.

I though it was clogged ducts, but maybe I'm wrong? I've tried warm compresses15 mins before pumping, long warm showers while massaging breasts, massaging breasts while pumping...Nothing has worked. I'm tired of straining my milk.

Please Help. I'm going back to work in 2 weeks and would like to get this resolved before then.

Default Re: possible clogged ducts?

If you're not getting actually plugged ducts- areas inside the breast that are filling up with milk that will not come out- then what you describe isn't really anything to worry about. Since breastmilk isn't pasteurized, homogenized, or filtered, it's normal for it to have a consistency which is different from that of the cow's milk you buy at the store. If you were to take a look at raw cow's milk, you'd see that it is often full of strings and clumps, most of which are caught by the filter that the milk goes through before it hits the tank.

The only problem with stringy, clumpy milk is that it can clog your ducts and can put you at somewhat greater risk of mastitis. It might help to take a soy lecithin supplement and reduce saturated fat in your diet. If that doesn't change the situation, I'd treat this as an inconvenience and try to find a way to strain the milk that allows you to do it less often. Maybe consolidate the milk from all your day's pumping sessions and put it through a coffee filter before breaking it down into smaller portions again? Annoying, I imagine, but better than straining it every time you pump!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yeah, i've had masitis once already. how long do you think I need to take the lecithin before I see any results?

I honestly don't know. It's supposed to be helpful but I'm not sure there's a generally agreed-upon timeframe for effectiveness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"