Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting out dairy ...

Default Re: Cutting out dairy ...

Forgot to add, it's usually only uncomfortable when he initially latches. I do have the dreaded "lipstick" nipple when he's done. He'll start with a deeper latch and the longer he nurses, it gets shallower and shallower. I don't see any obvious signs of thrust ... No white spots, etc .. He was at the doctor Friday and I did ask about it and she said no but she didn't really look into his mouth that well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovefitness84 View Post
    Ive read to info on foremilk/hindmilk and I just get overwhelmed :P It very well could be that buts definitely not caused by not leaving him on long enough .. He's usually on each breast a min of 30 min each. It says the next thing to try would be to just feed from one breast and wait 2-3 hours before offering the other .. My question with that is, if he's wanting to nurse for comfort non-stop, do I leave him on that one beast I started with for the 2-3 hours and then if he's still fussy switch to the other side?

Also, it's very possible I have a forceful letdown.. In the first min or so he definitely does gulp loudly and occasionally will almost choke ok it so of course I pull him off into an upright position and throw a towel over my nipple so I don't soak us both.
    To the bolded- yes, that's how block feeding works. You'd nurse him only from the one side for the block of time (2-3 hours) and if he wants to nurse again within that time (or non-stop comfort nursing) put him back on that same side.

ETA: I think I maybe misunderstood your question at first. If he's fussy that whole time you might also want to take him off for a while, burp him, change him, walk around with him...generally try to distract him just to see if maybe it's not nursing he wants. But if it IS nursing he wants then nurse him. If the empty breast is satisfying him you could keep him there. Maybe he just wants to suck. Just stay on top of diaper counts (should be 5-6 wets per 24 hours) to make sure he's getting enough milk.

Forceful letdown often goes with the fore-hind imbalance. Because baby gets full with that initial glut of milk (mostly foremilk) and doesn't have room for the hindmilk. The block feeding would help with this as well, but in the meantime you might want to try some of the positioning fixes, like reclined nursing. Or pull baby off when you first let down so the initial spray goes into a cup or bottle or burpcloth or whatever and then latch him on when it calms down.

And again, a lot of these things can be part of the normal process of your body adjusting to supply and demand and may fix themselves. Which is to say, you might not always have to block feed or nurse laying back or whatever. It just may be something to help in the meantime until your body adjusts.
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; July 16th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovefitness84 View Post
    Forgot to add, it's usually only uncomfortable when he initially latches. I do have the dreaded "lipstick" nipple when he's done. He'll start with a deeper latch and the longer he nurses, it gets shallower and shallower. I don't see any obvious signs of thrust ... No white spots, etc .. He was at the doctor Friday and I did ask about it and she said no but she didn't really look into his mouth that well.
    Doesn't sound like thrush, then. Hopefully someone else can come in and help about the latch issues. It's not something I had experience with. But you might try unlatching and getting him to relatch when you think he's slipping off. Or just let him nurse that way if it isn't hurting you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous