Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting out dairy ...

Default Cutting out dairy ...

My little guy is very fussy and gassy so I decided to try to eliminate dairy to see if it helps.

Have any of you cut out dairy (without the obvious signs it was an allergy) and saw an improvement with the painful gas? He doesn't have any other indicators that its an allergy -- normal yellow seedy stool, doesn't spit up, etc.

I feel horrible for him when he tries to pass gas he ended up and let's out a short scream

Default Re: Cutting out dairy ...

My dd was diagnosed with silent reflux and her ped reccomemded going dairy free. I didn't notice her having too much gassiness but she grunted and fussed a lot so maybe.

Anyway the difference in her was incredible, night and day. She was screaming all the time and after going off dairy she was a peach. Be sure to watch for hidden dairy, it is in the oddest things. And try it for two weeks before you gage for results because I think it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get out of your system. Good luck, hopefully it helps!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

I haven't cut out dairy completely, but I'm thinking I may have to...

I ate a lot of ice cream a couple days in a row, and he got the worst diaper rash yet.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I had to cut out dairy My LO was very fussy and gassy. Spit up and had poopy diapers a lot (and not always full) and she had a horible rash. She would always grunt and cry in her sleep and tighten her tummy. I felt bad and she was not happy. I cut out dairy and it made a big difference. She now sleeps longer, shes a happy baby and smiles more and I can just tell she's not in pain. She sometimes will get a little gassy and fussy but not as much as she did. Her poops got better, her rash cleared up, and she still spits up but not a lot.

I didn't cut out every single thing dairy either. Maybe if I did she wouldn't have any gassy moments but we are doing WAY better and shes not in pain anymore. I cut all main dairy. Milk, cheese, yogurt, pudding, butter, and ice cream. I will eat ranch, mayo, and a cupcake made with dairy etc. but I watch how much I eat and I dont go nuts with those in one day. I went out for dinner and had a cheese burger, thinking it should be fine, oh no the next day she was not a happy camper.

It really sucks but if it makes her feel better its worth it. I hate seeing her in pain. When I can eat dairy again I'm going to go into a dairy coma LOL

How old is your baby?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks ladies. On day 5 (I think! My days run together now!).. Still extremely gassy/fussy and can tell he's in pain going to keep trying until the two week mark though. Like I said, he has no obvious signs of an allergy other than the extreme gas/fussiness. Since he's not spitting up, I wonder if it's silent reflux? How could I tell?

And he's 4 and a 1/2 weeks

Thanks again!

I think at only 4.5 weeks (symptoms starting around 3 weeks?) it's MUCH more likely that the gassiness is just the natural process of your baby's gut maturing and learning to metabolise. And possibly a mild foremilk hindmilk imbalance from your milk supply not quite being regulated to baby's needs, but even that would show more symptoms than fussiness when trying to pass gas. To an extent, things like that are normal and don't always indicate a problem you need to do anything about (other than trying different things to get him to burp and comforting him when he's trying to pass gas- bicycling the legs, massaging the stomach, bouncing on your legs, whatever works for your baby)

I very much doubt at this point that the dairy is causing the issue. For the most part reactions to food sensitivities/allergies don't typically kick in until 2-3 months old.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, norasmommy! He just seems to be in constant pain/uncomfort ... Occasionally while nursing as well, he'll cry and pull off, strain to try to pass gas and then want to latch right back on.

So 2-3 months usually? If it is an allergy, will it always have the other symptoms.. Slimy stool with blood?

Thanks again !

It wouldn't necessarily be slimy stool with blood (my son's started as rashes and very bad cradle cap). And I'm sure you could probably find babies whose only symptoms was gassiness. But I wouldn't jump right to the assumption of allergy with no other symptoms present because there are so very very many things that can cause painful gas and fussiness in a baby (especially one that young).

Not to say you should immediately start eating dairy again, but I think you would do well to look for other potential issues. The foremilk-hindmilk issue would be where I'd start. Do you have any nipple irritation, burning, itchiness? Any possibility it may be thrush? It can start off very subtle. And it could simply be a growth spurt, though they don't usually last more than a week or so.
    --Anonymous

Ive read to info on foremilk/hindmilk and I just get overwhelmed :P It very well could be that buts definitely not caused by not leaving him on long enough .. He's usually on each breast a min of 30 min each. It says the next thing to try would be to just feed from one breast and wait 2-3 hours before offering the other .. My question with that is, if he's wanting to nurse for comfort non-stop, do I leave him on that one beast I started with for the 2-3 hours and then if he's still fussy switch to the other side?

Also, it's very possible I have a forceful letdown.. In the first min or so he definitely does gulp loudly and occasionally will almost choke ok it so of course I pull him off into an upright position and throw a towel over my nipple so I don't soak us both.