Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me this too shall pass!

Default Please tell me this too shall pass!

At least before I have to go back to work in 8 weeks *

I've read through previous posts with similar issues but I need to hear it again I'm super stressed out about this ...

I have a beautiful 4 week old baby boy. Unfortunately he has colic or that's the only explanation myself and doctor can think of! No health issues causing it - fed, changed, soothed continuously, etc etc.. *He does have horrible gas pains Ive done the tummy massage, tried drops etc, doesnt work.*Love him to death but it's been extremely challenging, and I mean that in the most loving way.*

He literally nurses none stop. I know a lot of it is comfort nursing and that's fine but I've done 4 plus hours at a time on multiple occasions, daily really - only to stop when he falls asleep (which he'll only do on me by the way -and I love it but can't get anything done- and he screams if I try carrying in a wrap.) If he's awake and not being changed/bathed, he's latched on.*

I've seem replies to similar posts saying it's normal and that their LO's did the same thing - nursing every 2 hours or even 1 hour .. But thats where I differ.. It's not every 2 hours or even every 1 hour .. Not even a 20 min break - it's continual. Of course I do it because it is absolutely the only thing that soothes him.*

I know he's so little still and likes to be close to me, which I love .. I just want to hear from other mothers that had a LO that was the same way and that it did pass and when did it pass? As a side note, he's gaining weight well (born at 7lb 6oz - now at 4 weeks 10lb 2oz! - doesn't spit up, a lot of wet/soiled diapers each day).

Thank you guys for the support! I absolutely love these forums and look forward to reading/learnig a lot more!*

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by @llli*lovefitness84; July 14th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Default Re: Please tell me this too shall pass!

my lo was attached to me for about 8 weeks. it got better, it will for you too.

we sometimes did little bicycle movements with both my boys if i thought they had gas. for them nursing actually helped them relieve the gas.

sometimes we would take a walk around the house, getting outside was good for him.

sometimes it takes babies a little to get used to a carrier/wrap. ive loved our ergo. they offer an infant insert which i plan on getting if i have another baby. love our ergo!

try to just set yourself up with books, movies, laptop snacks water and just plan to be there all day. set up a time with your dh to take the baby so you can shower when you need. it will pass quickly and you will miss the peace, i promise keep up the good work!!

if you like reading the forums, i would definitely get the new womanly art of breastfeeding book and reading that while you nurse. its great!

It does get better! My 2 nursed a lot in the beginning. With my dd, the first 6 weeks were terribly hard. I wrote about it in a journal, it was a sad time. Our baby just struggled to be out of the womb. She slowly got better, calmer, more interested in the world, able to nurse and be done for a while. My daughter is the happiest always smiling baby now. At 3 months, the end of what people call the fourth trimester, she was loads better!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Baby wearing would help you nurse and move around. You may want to look up a local babywearing group (meetup is good) or ask your local LLL group for some hands-on help and suggestions.

Have you looked up the Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp? It's excellent.

It will pass.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Keep trying the slings/carriers - he'll get used to it!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Wow, I swear our kids could be twins! I am having some similar issues, and just wrote a post last week with similar questions. I got some great responses, but the consensus was to hang in there. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...gs-quot-normal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovefitness84 View Post
    "I have a beautiful 4 week old baby boy. Unfortunately he has colic or that's the only explanation myself and doctor can think of! No health issues causing it - fed, changed, soothed continuously, etc etc.. *He does have horrible gas pains Ive done the tummy massage, tried drops etc, doesnt work.*Love him to death but it's been extremely challenging, and I mean that in the most loving way.*"
    My DD also seems to have really painful gas about twice a day. I will sit on the couch with my legs together, put her head where my knees are and her legs toward my stomach, and I will bicycle her legs and generally just move her knees up to her chest until something comes out. It doesn't stop the crying, but I believe it makes it come out faster. The other thing that helps is I pick her up under her armpits and bounce her on my lap... so her feet are touching my legs and when I bounce her, her legs bend. This seems to help with the gas too. I also use gripe water and little tummies gas drops, not sure if they work at all or if I just tell myself that they're helping.

"He literally nurses none stop. I know a lot of it is comfort nursing and that's fine but I've done 4 plus hours at a time on multiple occasions, daily really - only to stop when he falls asleep (which he'll only do on me by the way -and I love it but can't get anything done- and he screams if I try carrying in a wrap.) If he's awake and not being changed/bathed, he's latched on.*

I've seem replies to similar posts saying it's normal and that their LO's did the same thing - nursing every 2 hours or even 1 hour .. But thats where I differ.. It's not every 2 hours or even every 1 hour .. Not even a 20 min break - it's continual. Of course I do it because it is absolutely the only thing that soothes him.*"
    I completely understand. My LO nursed for 8 hours one day! 4pm to midnight. My husband thought we were both crazy.

"I know he's so little still and likes to be close to me, which I love .. I just want to hear from other mothers that had a LO that was the same way and that it did pass and when did it pass? As a side note, he's gaining weight well (born at 7lb 6oz - now at 4 weeks 10lb 2oz! - doesn't spit up, a lot of wet/soiled diapers each day)."
    I can tell you this.... I wrote my original post last week when I was VERY frustrated. A few days ago, DD started being content for a little while (10-20 minutes) in between feedings. Like she realized that she could be awake and okay if not on the nipple. So I'm trying to encourage this by giving her lots of loving attention when she's in this awake and alert mood. We do boppy time, tummy time, and sometimes time in the swing. So hang in there!!! Last week, I thought this would never end, and a week later, we're definitely making progress!!
    Last edited by @llli*leilajoon; July 15th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

I think one gets amnesia about newborns in order to have a second child because that happened to me. I forgot about the HOURS and HOURS of non-stop nursing newborns require! This is my second time around and both daughters had times when they nursed non stop. My first NEVER stuck to a schedule of every hour or two. Sometimes it was ever hour, other times every 45 minutes, sometimes goin 2-4 hours...she never made sense! Then there was the cluster feeding. I've noticed with my second (who is 6 weeks old now) that she is similar to my first in that the non-stop cluster feeds happen later in the day. That said, there are some days where it seems she is attached all of the time.s

It's exhausting. It makes me upset that I chose to breastfeed. It makes me think "those mom's who chose formula have it so much easier, I should switch." but I don't. The point is, it's ok to feel that way. You lose your independence which for someone like me is very difficult. BUT...it does pass. Unfortunately it tends to pass right when it is time to go back to work (12 weeks for me), at least with my first daughter (now almost 3) that's how it was. On that note, you blink and your child is 3, so it does pass!

Hang in there. I feel you as I am in the same boat. Good luck!
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

When someone says their baby nurses ACTUALLY nonstop, I do always wonder about reflux. Reflux babies often nurse continually, because swallowing helps keeps the acid in their tummies down, rather than coming back up the esophagus. I know you said you and your doctor have ruled out health issues, but have you looked into reflux specifically? It's very common in "colicky" babies.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My baby didn't nurse non stop but it was almost non stop. That's what brought me to this forum a few months ago. She would only be off for about 30 minutes before nursing again all day long. And if she wasn't nursing or sleeping she was crying. Walking with her and frequently changing location and going outside helped sometimes. Music helped sometimes (and helped me too!). Doing things like talking on the phone or watching a favorite program or going to other nursing mothers homes helped me mentally. For a few weeks I went on daily drives because she would sleep calmly in the car. We nursed a lot and I thought she would never start spacing them out and I worried that she was not normal. However, gradually things changed (for us around 2 1/2 -3 months) and now I love breastfeeding and am glad I got through those times. There were some really, really challenging days in there though. Take care of yourself!!

Hi there! First of all conradulations on your beautiful baby boy! I wanted to respond to you since I noticed you love fitness? I am also a fitness lover as well. I breasted my son for 17 months. He is now 2.5. It was very tough for the first few months. He cried a lot and breasted a lot. It was one of the toughest time of my life. My husband and I were both exhausted. This forum helped me so much. Also I found a LeLeche league mothers group I attended. Being an athlete I know about hard work, dedication, pain, and commitment. I have that as a foundation. I did not give up on breast feeding. I hung in there. I was not going to quit. It does get better. The rewards are life long. Breast feeding also helped me get back to my pre pregnancy weight quicker. I was leaner than ever once I got back to exercise. After I had my son in Jan I ran a 5k road race in April(2010). Things get back to normal. It takes commitment, dedication, and yes sometimes pain. The bond between you and baby and the closeness that you share is truly out of this world. It goes beyond words. I am currently 7 months pregnant and on modified bed rest due to pre term labor. It is tough. I can't exercise or work or pick up my son. I know this time will pass. I will be breast feeding again soon. Please hang in there. Don't give up. You can do it. Stay strong.