Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to start bottle feeding a mostly breastfed newborn

Default trying to introduce bottle to breastfed newborn, any advice?

i am trying to give my 5 week old some experience with the bottle and the nipple on the bottle is at least twice the length of my own nipples so it feels like we're shoving a HUGE nipple down her throat and even though it is the low flow it seems like it comes out crazy fast. anybody have any recommendations? is this just how it is with bottles? we are currently trying tommee tippee closer to nature bottle and nipple... and pumped milk of course!
    Last edited by @llli*norasmom; July 14th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Default Re: trying to introduce bottle to breastfed newborn, any adv

You should definitely be able to find something that works better! Is it a newborn size? I would just keep looking around. Hopefully someone will pipe up with a specific suggestion they liked with very young infants.

Default Re: trying to start bottle feeding a mostly breastfed newbor

I had a picky baby with DS2 and we tried what seemed like a trillion bottles and settled for the Breastflow bottle slow flow the whole time.

Also remember that although your nipples are smaller, baby takes a huge amount of your breast in their mouth when nursing.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Experiment. None of mine liked the TT anything.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i am going to try the breastflow and the lansinoh mOmma. thanks so much!

Breastflow is AWESOME!

The double nipple design requires the baby to use the same sucking technique and he/she uses on the breast.
    They prevent overfeeding because the baby remains in control.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>