Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: safe teething pain relief for 3 month old?

Default safe teething pain relief for 3 month old?

Ack! LO is teething early. She's been drooling since she was 3 weeks old. Now, at 13 weeks, she's got two visible white bumps on her bottom gum.

I've put washcloths in the freezer, tried cold teething rings (she can grab, hold, and get them into her mouth but not for very long). But her biggest relief besides nursing, is having me run a cold ice cube over her gums... which has me panicked that she's getting too much water or that I'll drop the cube and she'll swallow.

What's a safe amount of water for LO? Would I be better off making BM ice cubes? I don't pump but could maybe express enough for a cube or two?

She hasn't taken to the pacifier (2 sucks and spits it out) but I haven't tried freezing one. Maybe that would be better?

I know teething is never easy but I hate that this is happening so early!
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Default Re: safe teething pain relief for 3 month old?

We bought one of those mesh food holders for babies(meant to be for putting fruit in so they can suck the juice) and I put breastmilk ice cubes in it, it seems to really help. We also rub normal ice cubes on gums, but my baby is older. I am sure it would be okay as long as you don't do it loads through the day. Homeopathic chamomilla can also help. We find Hylands teething tablets quite good, but I know that there has been some negative stuff about them containing Belladona(they were recalled and re issued).

I had an early teether, too. We spent about a week holding refrigerated teething rings in his mouth for him, and then he very quickly became adept at holding onto and directing things and now he maneuvers them himself with no problem. The ring he could use earliest by himself was a simple textured rubber ring that we found at a local health food store - I'm not finding it online right now - but it had nothing hanging off of it so it was easy for him to hang onto and fit in his mouth. I had the same concern as you about the water from the frozen washcloths, but both our doctor and LLL leader said it wasn't enough water to be a problem. But sometimes he prefers a plain, non-refrigerated rag or small blanket anyway - I think it fits better into the crevices of his mouth. We also use the Hylands tablets and gel when he seems particularly troubled.

My daughter started teething early, too. It's such a bummer, isn't it? I made breastmilk ice cubes that I put in a mesh feeder. Hylands teething tablets were my best friend. I also wish I had just given her the Tylenol sooner. I know some people are wary of this, but I'd get proper dosing for age/weight. I just wish I had done is sooner because she was in terrible pain, and if I had teeth coming in like that you better believe I'd be popping some Tylenol. They also sell teething rings that you can freeze that are hard. They work nicely, too.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I agree with all those suggestions, especially Tylenol at night. I had an early teether, too. Sophie the giraffe is a great friend to a teether! OK, so she's expensive, but she will last forever. DS (who had 2 teeth at 4 months) would aggressively gnaw on her like his life depended on it. And when those molars come in they can ram her feet way back there!

http://www.diapers.com/p/vulli-sophi...l-rubber-15640

Hyland's also makes a gel now, that is medication-free:

http://www.diapers.com/p/hylands-teething-gel-22948
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I just gave tylenol to my 5 month old this week at night and it helped so much. During the day, the only thing that has been helping so far is just keeping her mind off the discomfort as much as possible and nursing more frequently. She likes little blankets too but the teething rings and tablets didn't help.

Does anyone know where I can find proper dosage and information about safe use of tylenol for babies. my baby is 17 lbs and I've given her 2.5 ml. Also, I don't want to do anything unsafe or make a habit of the tylenol, but the pain is keeping her up at night when there is nothing to distract her.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wendy300 View Post
    I just gave tylenol to my 5 month old this week at night and it helped so much. During the day, the only thing that has been helping so far is just keeping her mind off the discomfort as much as possible and nursing more frequently. She likes little blankets too but the teething rings and tablets didn't help.

Does anyone know where I can find proper dosage and information about safe use of tylenol for babies. my baby is 17 lbs and I've given her 2.5 ml. Also, I don't want to do anything unsafe or make a habit of the tylenol, but the pain is keeping her up at night when there is nothing to distract her.
    The usual recommended dose of tylenol is 10mg/kg. So if your baby is 17lbs she's roughly 7.5 kg, which would me a dose of 75mg of tylenol every 6 hours. My pediatric tylenol is 160mg/5L, so a dose of 2.5ml would give you 80mg. That's should be totally, fine, but I would go just under 2.5 rather than just over. When you figure the amount that is left coating the spoon/dropper/cup whatever, you probably dosing her exactly right.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Great, thank you!

Thank you so much for these suggestions! Will get the teething tablets asap. She's been, on the whole, better, but still cranky, clingy, and all around mushy.

Did your LOs also have a lot of green poops? We've had neon greens after every feeding. I feel like my milk is a giant laxative.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.