Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Nursing to a preschooler

Default Introducing Nursing to a preschooler

I hope this doesn't come off as an odd question but I figured here is the safest place to ask
    I am currently nursing my 7 1/2 month old and I have an almost 4 year old girl, I was only able to nurse her for about 5 months and I was heartbroken to quit. Well, she is a VERY picky eater and it's a struggle to get her to eat anything, well my mom said to me the other day "you should be nursing her too, she needs your nutrition" (baby boy is a chunky monkey ) So my question is, is it possible to re-introduce nursing to a 4 year old? Is that strange? I dont want to traumatize her by trying but I do find myself thinking sometimes that i wish I were still breastfeeding her or wishing that I had been able to nurse her until 2 or 3. Any input/suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Default Re: Introducing Nursing to a preschooler

It's certainly possible to get a 4 year old to nurse again, but I honestly think it's fairly unlikely that she'll a) re-learn to latch and b) enjoy nursing so much that she'll do it enough to really impact her calorie intake. When kids nurse into the preschool years, it's usually because they never stopped.

Feel free to offer, and see if she's into it. If not, you can always break out the pump and start giving her breastmilk in a cup.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, I'd try offering it in a cup. Personally I had a 4 YO ( saying that cuz he remembers nursing) who weaned and then asked to nurse like 8 weeks larder and totally forgot how to latch! He was trying to drink like it was a straw . And this was a kid who nursed for 4 years.

Certainly not weird to try I just think it may not be possible to have her nurse from the tap.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

nurse from the tap
    Thanks for the responses ladies, I will just offer it to her in a cup, she has had it before and likes it but she takes it like a shot and downs it really fast, dont' know if I'll be able to keep up with her thirst
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011