Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Producing enough when I breastpump ?

Default Re: Producing enough when I breastpump ?

Re: only getting a few oz from extra sessions...I've found freezing even an ounce at a time is still helpful and reassuring to have!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

I just switched from Dr. Browns slow flow to a Playtex AireVent wide neck slow flow wich is sooo much sloooooower.

It helped my 8 month old to be happy with her 3oz since they now take longer to drink. She used to fuss, and is now happy with that amount.

Not all slow flow are created equally, and sometimes it's time at the bottle that they want.

Also, as someone mentioned above, if you give the DCP large bottles, baby will likely keep drinking until it's gone. Try 2 or 3 oz with a really slow flow, and baby will probably be happy and go back to playing.

So, why do they make the bigger 9 oz bottles then ? just curious. I also read somewhere that you should give your baby 3 oz until they are 3 months old, and then give them an extra ounce every month older they are. So, 4 months gets 4 oz, and so on. This didnt sound right to me.

Most of the advice on bottle-feeding is based on the eating patterns and needs of formula-fed babies. A formula-fed baby's intake increases significantly as he/she gets older, which is why the bottle companies make those huge bottles. Breastfed babies, on the other hand, do not significantly change the volume of milk they need, so it's perfectly normal for a breastfed baby to never need anything larger than a 3-4 oz bottle. This may be, in part, why breastfed babies tend to gain weight relatively rapidly in the first few months and then slow down as they get closer to their first birthdays, while formula-fed babies tend to gain weight slowly at first and then relatively faster in their second six months or so.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow, I had no idea ! Out of all the baby websites i go to, and my baby books, it doesn't tell you this about the amount of milk your BF baby needs. This is soo helpful ! Thank you so much ! Now I feel like I wasted my money buying those bigger bottles. Oh well, at least I have enough I guess.