Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Producing enough when I breastpump ?

Default Producing enough when I breastpump ?

Hello,

I am a first time mom, and have recently gone back to work. My LO is 3 1/2 months and eating about 5 oz bottles at daycare. I have to work full time, but I am able to take 3 breaks throughout the day to go pump. I usually produce just enough to fill 3 bottles, of 5 oz for my baby girl. Sometimes she takes 4 bottles at daycare if she gets hungry or if I can't make it there at my usual time because of traffic..etc. My concern is that I won't be able to make enough for her, and I DON'T want to put her on formula. Sometimes i have to take milk out of her frozen stash, and it makes me nervous because I don't even have that much stored up in the freezer. I've tried to pump extra, but only get a few ounces at a time. I strictly BF at home, and when I'm away at work is when I pump. Am I doing anything wrong? I feel like a failure because I want to be able to feed her, and have plenty extra stored up for those "just in case" days. Is there a way to increase the amount I produce, or pump ? Also, I usually get more out of the right breast than the left. Is there a way to get more out of the left breast ?

Help !

Default Re: Producing enough when I breastpump ?

How long are you away from your baby?

It sounds like she is probably being over fed. She should get between 1 and 1.5 ounces per hour you are separated from her. Try smaller bottles; 5 ounce bottles are pretty big (my son only took 3 ounces at a time until he was well over a year old). Four 3 ounce bottles or three 4 ounce would be more appropriate. You can leave an extra 2-3 ounce bottle just in case she needs it. That is within the range you are pumping at work even with the small extra bottle.

Also make sure that your bottles have a slow flow nipple and your DCP is using paced bottle feeding methods and soothing techniques other than simply giving a bottle.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I am gone at the most for 10 hours. That includes my 8 hour work day and driving time to and from daycare and work.

Thank you so much !

Then the absolute maximum she should get each day is 15 ounces, which is what you are pumping. Try the smaller bottles and check with DCP about the paced feeding. If she is happy with 12 ounces (4 x 3oz or 3 x 4oz), which she should be if she's being fed and soothed properly, then you can start freezing a little milk again.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

ok great. I'll give that a try and go back down to giving her 4 oz bottles. Hopefully she won't be too fussy by doing this.
    Thank you !

I agree that 5oz bottles are too big, especially for her age. My DS's bottles never exceeded 4-ish ounces, even at 14 months old! I think 4 or even 3.5 is more appropriate. Have them try other methods of soothing if she is fussy after a bottle (sometimes it's just that they still want to suck, not necessarily hunger).
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

You might want to break the bottles down a little more. Maybe make some 3 oz bottles and some 1 oz bottles for chasers. That way the DCP has to pause the feeding to reach for the second bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

5 oz in one sitting is usually too much for a BF baby of that age.

Are your nipples new on the bottles, as they wear out fast, and have you tried ultra low flow ones to make er work harder for a bottle?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have the avert bottles and was feeding her with the number 2 nipples, which is still slow flow, but I have my smaller bottles I can go back to.

I'd try a different brand. I used those because my oldest son preferred a fast flow, and even the newborn ones were really fast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!