Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A general qs ?

Default A general qs ?

My DD is 3 months old and Bf.

Most of moms I know of have their periods returning after an year or more post-partum and have subsequently weaned their children.

However, my periods were back within 3 months post-partum.Around the same time, I noticed that my breasts felt less fuller and I had to pump longer to get the same amount of milk. Will this result in drop in my supply ?

Will this mean that, I won't be able to BF for as long as I want to?

Default Re: A general qs ?

My cycle returned 8 weeks postpartum , and I am still nursing my 20 month old without any problems . I did see a slight dip in my supply at certain points in my cycle when I pumped, but it always went back up after a couple days and it has never been noticeable when I have only been nursing and not pumping; I never would have even known about the dip if I didn't pump.

It's common to see your milk supply start to stabilize around 3 months, so that may be at least part of the reason that you are seeing a lower pumping output. Also, certain pump parts (membranes/valves) need to be replaced periodically and some women need to change shield sizes after awhile, so either of those things might have something to do with it too. If you are pumping enough to cover the time that you are separated from your baby, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

At any rate, there is no reason to think that the return of your period will bring about the end of your breastfeeding relationship. Lots of mamas nurse their children for many years after their cycle returns.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

My period returned between 4 and 5 months postpartum with both of my kids. I nursed DS for 17 months. DD is still nursing strong, and will be 2 years old this Friday . My supply does dip for a couple days before my period each month, but quickly returns to normal. Like pp, I noticed the dip most when I was still pumping. It does seem to affect DD as well since she seems to wake more often at night to nurse on those days as well. My assumption is that she wakes more often since each session is less filling .

Nevertheless, I certainly don't think that having your period return early needs to shorten your nursing relationship. With the return of your period comes the return of fertility. If you get pregnant this certainly could affect nursing. Also, hormonal birth control can have an impact.

Thanks a lot for your comments, was hoping to nurse DD till she will be abt 1 year old...