Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible Raynaud's/vasospasms - need positive stories!

Default Possible Raynaud's/vasospasms - need positive stories!

Well, I'm thinking that my "issue" with my pump is really Raynaud's/vasospasms. I do have a history of Raynaud's in my toes (mostly in the winter) and had a few episodes in my nipples while pregnant with DD (only in the pool) but never had any issues in my nipples when nursing/pumping with DS. I'm meeting with lactation on Monday to check out my pump, my flanges (I've tried all the sizes with no relief and this is the SAME pump and SAME flanges I used with DS) and watch me pump to see exactly what is happening.

I don't want to over-react, but if this is the case - there is treatment, right? Of course I don't want to take medication but I will if I have to. I mostly have pain with pumping - and have to pump at work. When DD nurses at night (in her sleep, mostly, but that's a whole other post!) it is not as bad. I do have some flax seed bags I will heat and use this weekend to see if it helps, but I can't walk around work with flax seed bags (I have the "booby tubes") in my bra!

Anyways - any success stories or tips from llladies who've been through this???
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Possible Raynaud's/vasospasms - need positive stories!

~bumping for some responses???
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

What kind of pump do you have and how much did you use it with your first? I'm betting it might be time for a new pump. If it is raynauds you can check out dr Newman's site for treatment protocol. There is a rx drug for it but you could try supplements first ( vitamin b and calcium/magnesium if I recall correctly)
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Thanks browncow. I met with LC today and my pump is in good working order and my flanges are the correct size. I've been lubing with olive oil before pumping and using heat packs ("booby tubes") after pumping and it seems to be helping a bit. The LC said there's no striking evidence of Raynaud's, but we'll keep an eye on it. She also hooked me up to a Medela Symphony (I use a PIS) and it felt a lot better. If my pain doesn't improve I may rent a Symphony as it was a lot smoother. We'll see how it goes!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I had vasospasms caused by pumping...I treated thrush for about 3mos before finally figuring it out! So frustrating I was using (and still do) a Medela PISA and tried some different size flanges but they didn't seem to help much. I used Mother Love Nipple Cream after nursing/pumping and washed my nipples 2X a day (shower & one other) with warm water and mild soap. I also switched to some off brand flanges for awhile (Pumpin Pals). These were more comfortable and I used them for about 5 months or so but eventually my pump times started to get longer and longer (like 45 min/session). I switched back to the Medela flanges and my sessions were much shorter (20-30 min). I just lubed the flanges with Mother Love and made sure I kept the suction a bit lower (like 11:00-12:00ish on the dial). I haven't had any problems with vasospasms since switching back to the Medela flanges. In retrospect, I think that the whole problem may have been initially caused by pumping at too high a suction rate. I'm also pumping less now than I was at the beginning, since my DD is now 12mos old.

I've never tried a Symphony but I've heard that it's much smoother than the PISA...I thought about renting one too when I was really in a lot of pain. Maybe try a lower suction...that really seemed to help me. You can do compressions while pumping & hand express after to make sure you empty your breasts. HTH!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong