Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: keeping up supply / sleeping through the night

Default keeping up supply / sleeping through the night

My dd is 5 months old and despite early difficulties (i.e., difficult latch, cracked nipples, OALD / OS, reflux and allergies) she is a breastfeeding pro now. I am also very lucky that she seems to be sleeping through the night most of the time. My concern with this is that I also work a 40 week and have to pump. She does come in @ noon and usually drains both breasts for a nice hearty lunch. She takes between 3-4 oz in the morn and 2-3 in the afternoon before I get home. When I'm home I feed her on demand and lately many additional offers since she is so interested in / distracted by her surroundings. We are not starting solids yet and I pump at least twice per workday, but my supply is not as good as it used to be. The OS regulated a month or so ago and that was an adjustment but for the better. Since she stopped waking up at midnight and 3am I'm worried that we've gone too far and are on a bad path to undersupply. I don't get as much per pumping session, it seems to take longer for her to get a letdown than it used to in the pm and I think she is a bit frustrated with this. Should I be worried? How can I help keep my supply up?

Default Re: keeping up supply / sleeping through the night

P.S. I loved when she woke up in the night to bf, but don't want to wake her since she suffers from what I think are night terrors when overtired.

Usually all a mom has to do to maintain supply when her baby starts sleeping through is to nurse on demand, and let baby boost her daytime supply until it compensates for what isn't being made at night. When a mom is working outside the home, the challenge is complicated by the fact that the baby isn't nursing as much as she normally would if mom was home, and therefore supply doesn't get boosted in the same way.

Once oversupply vanishes and baby starts sleeping through, a lot of moms see pump output at work drop. When this happens, mom may need to start adding in additional pumping sessions- at work if possible, but at home if not. I'd definitely slip in a last pumping session before bed, since your LO is now sleeping through.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Know you are not alone. I work a 40 hr work week and pump 3 times a day. I nurse before work and after work and my LO is now sleeping thru the night. Our 2 am feedings were the best and I had the most over abundance then which is when I used to pump a good bottle to put away for later. Recently I have had a drop in how much I am producing and I am not sure if its cause I am regulating, he is eating more, or due to my schedule change or letdown issues. I don't feel the let down as often as before so its confusing what is going on in my body. I read everything I can get my hands on about breastfeeding but there is so much you can't account for. Not to mention everyone's experience with it is different. Be encouraged that you are not alone and that you are doing the best you can as a mommy. Our kids will never realize what we had to go thru to make sure they had the best start in life as possible. Don't give up!

Thank you! It is so good to know that others are going through the same things.