Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrating doctor visit. Help please!

Default Frustrating doctor visit. Help please!

Hello all. This is my 2nd post here and I am typing it on my phone while nursing, so I apologize for any errors. I just got back from a doctors visit for my one month old and I am very frustrated. I feel like he didn't even listen to me. About two weeks ago, my LO was diagnosed with GERD and put on the child's version of zantac. It helped for a little bit, but she started to have the same/worse symptoms, so I set up an appt to see if it was something else or what could be going on. All the doctor did was up her medication dosage. I'm not even sure she needs the medicine, and now he wants me to give her more! I am hoping that I can describe what's going on and perhaps get some guidance or advice to make my next conversation with my doctor better. Or perhaps I can figure out something else I can do!
    It took awhile for my milk to come in, and at first my daughter lost too much weight, so we were told to supplement, but I never did because by the time we were told to supplement my milk had come in and my daughter refused a bottle after nursing probably because she was full! Now after reading the information from this site I believe I have OALD and/or OS. My daughter spits up A LOT and has horrible gas pain. We were originally given meds because of the frequent milk baths and gas pain. I think though that she has this because of nursing. On the times when my LO has fallen off the breast in the beginning, my milk will either shoot out like a fire hydrant or drip down very fast. She will also gulp in the beginning and her eyes will get very huge. There are times when I know she wants to comfort nurse, but she can't because there is too much milk. She will bite down or twist her head around and cry. I then feel terrible. She usually only nurses from one side a feeding, and I am trying laid back nursing, but it doesn't seem to help.
    Each night she cries for a few hours until she poops, then she will eat and sleep for three hours max and she will be up for most of the day. We are currently holding her up for 20 minutes after each feeding to help with the gas, so by the time we put her down (even next to me) she will sleep for maybe 20 more minutes and then start crying again. She goes from sleeping to screaming pretty quickly, so all I feel like she does is cry. I am home by myself all day from 6am-6pm and I try to take care of everything at night, so my husband can sleep, but I don't know how much longer I can last on three hours of sleep a day. I feel like a failure since all she does is cry. Is there anything else I can do to help the crying? I give her belly massages throughout the day to help with gas, but she still seems to be in pain. Does she really need this medicine? Please help! I am so frustrated and my doctor did not even listen to me!

Default Re: Frustrating doctor visit. Help please!

You're not a failure. Let's just get that out of the way right now. It does sound like OS/OALD or forceful letdown which is definitely manageable, and may help to ease some of her symptoms. In addition to laid-back nursing and block feeding (be careful not to overdo block feeding so early on as it may affect your supply later) you may want to allow some milk to spill into a cloth or towel after your initial let-down in order to wait for the forceful letdown to pass so that she can nurse with a slower flow.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the meds, but you may want to call the on-call nurse to express your disappointment with the appointment and ask your questions. It's ok to to ask more questions.

As for the sleep, it may be a pretty normal sleep pattern for a newborn. One, the 4 week mark is right around when a growth spurt hits so expect to be nursing more and sleeping less. Two, three hours is a pretty solid stretch for a one month-old but I understand the frustration of needing more rest. Buy a sling. It will change your life, especially if she has this fussy pattern all day. It will keep her upright and comfy next to you but will allow you free hands to accomplish the things you'd like to do during the day so that at night you can focus on just you and baby and getting some rest.

If she's sleeping during the day, go to sleep. Don't do laundry, don't cook, don't clean. GO TO SLEEP. Early on with a baby that may have reflux or may have colicky behaviors, you need sleep whenever you can get it. At night, I'd enlist your DH to wear the sling with a sleeping baby for 45 minutes while you get sleep. 45 minutes isn't much, but it adds up if you get several catnaps. My first was colicky and slept for about 15-20 minutes at a time. I can tell you two things, I went insane until I too started sleeping for those 15-20 minutes each time and it will get better. It will not last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nbdva View Post
    My daughter spits up A LOT and has horrible gas pain. We were originally given meds because of the frequent milk baths and gas pain. I think though that she has this because of nursing. On the times when my LO has fallen off the breast in the beginning, my milk will either shoot out like a fire hydrant or drip down very fast. She will also gulp in the beginning and her eyes will get very huge. There are times when I know she wants to comfort nurse, but she can't because there is too much milk. She will bite down or twist her head around and cry. I then feel terrible. She usually only nurses from one side a feeding, and I am trying laid back nursing, but it doesn't seem to help.
    That was us too. It was horrible. The biting down caused me such severe pain that I contemplated giving up on breastfeeding every day. My problem was OALD. That spraying indicates that it very well may be your problem too.

Keep working on the reclined positioning. I needed to tweak it a lot to find something that suited us. Recline more, recline less, put your baby on different places on your stomach/chest. Also try side lying nursing. That can help too. You can try nursing with your baby positioned more upright, which can help a lot with reflux.

Nursing very frequently helps a lot with OS and OALD and prevents some of the discomfort for baby.

Don't pump. Express as little as possible only when absolutely necessary. You can use cold compresses or cabbage leaves for discomfort.

Try bicycling her legs and pushing them up into a squatting position after the belly massage, and make sure that you are doing all of that very frequently throughout the day. I did it between every feeding. A warm bath in the evening followed by more leg bicycling helped us a lot too. My son would spit up a ton and nothing changed that, but working on the gas really helped him get more comfortable (mine did not have pain with the spit up, just the gas).

I don't know if the meds are necessary or not, but you can work on the gas manually and work on positioning to see if those things help (I bet they do). Problematic reflux requiring meication is usually accompanied by painful spit ups that are off color and sour smelling. If your baby is not experiencing that, then she might not need the meds. You might want to seek a second opinion about the reflux if you feel your doctor is being too dismissive.

ETA: I type too slowly. with aphimama. This is a great tip if positioning alone isn't enough:

you may want to allow some milk to spill into a cloth or towel after your initial let-down in order to wait for the forceful letdown to pass so that she can nurse with a slower flow.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; July 13th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I don't have experience with GERD, so can't help you there, but I believe I would be questioning the uptick in medication, as you are, in your situation. I did have OALD with my son at the beginning. Do you pump? Sometimes that can cause an OS, which can make OALD worse. Have you tried letting down to a pump then putting baby on? Or even some manual expression until the really fast-flowing milk has passed.

Have you played with your diet at all? You might be consuming something that is not agreeing with baby. Also, get help at night. Your husband is working all day but so are you and you also need your sleep. I don't know if you co-sleep or what your arrangement is, but my husband used to change baby's diapers in the night, then I would go and nurse. Nap with baby during the day, at least once, that helped me a ton. I usually would do the afternoon nap in my bed with baby.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Definitely try a sling or carrier. And dark places with loud white noise can calm crying babies. Can you get a noise machine in her room? Or whenever she is really worked up, go into a bathroom with no windows, lights off, and the fan on. Or run the vacuum. Basically you're simulating the womb environment. Especially if you have her in a sling or carrier while you do that!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Doctors often are not even aware of the existance of oald or overproduction never mind whart to do about it. GERD is WAY over diagnosed and this is one reason why. My oldest did have GERD I believe as meds helped him, but it was made WAY worse by my oversupply, when that got under control the symptoms went away entirely.

See this for more on helping baby handle oald. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

And holding baby more or less upright as much as possible, not just for teh reccomended 20-30 minutes, in a carrier or whatever, even just baby resting head above tummy on my or my husband's chest as we watched tv, really helped. I even figured out how to do this (hold baby upright) while laying down in bed after nursing.

I would add to all this sage advice to try a full body focusing on lower back massage for gas. I found that the massage low on her back between her hip bones was most helpful for tummy pain in my lo. She was also diagnosed with GERD and had Zantac at first. I gave up on that after the 3rd increase in dose but also I think her getting older helped out a lot. I am also on a dairy free diet at this point and it really helps. She has blood in her poop if I have any dairy. I am not recommending that you change your diet though just wanted to add in some of my experience.
    Also, I have found that I really had to try many different positions for helping my lo to deal with my OADL/OS. One position would work for a while then another. Also, different positions for different times of day / different amount of oversupply really helped us. I kind of had to watch for her cues and see what worked best. I used to use laid back nursing in the morning, cradle in the day and side lay in the evening and overnight. I now I use side laying in the early morning and evening. As she gets bigger things get easier so keep in mind that it will probably start to get easier as time passes.