Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad latch or Bad side in general?

Default Bad latch or Bad side in general?

Hi there. Been following other threads dealing with similar stuff, but dont want to take over so I thought I would post a new one.

So.. things are going well I'm pretty sure and so thankful for LLL, TWAB, knowledgable ladies on these forums! I KNOW I wouldnt be where I am today with it. IT is SO unbelievable to really face the reality that there is NO real BF support within 1 hour from me, like meetings for example. There are a few LC's here in town, and my PED, and they are supportive, but not really- "into' it enough to know the ins and outs. I do appreciate them and their help though, hate to knock them. SO here is my deal... LO is almost 12 weeks old, could we be losing a good latch only on one breast? It seems like the left side has always been an issue, like he prefers the right side, squirms more on the left, and actually it is starting to HURT. Twists his little head and its all I can doto keep him on there. Im still tryingto relax more and not worry about time and minutes. Its like he hates the left side! Ive tried opening his mouth more, diff positions. thinking pos thoughts and relaxing. Is it too late to fix a bad latch? YOu know I am wondering at this point about a possible lip tied? His top lip rearely flips out but it never concerned me bc the right side was fine and I prob overlooked it just thinking some pain was normal? ANY advice is welcome! Thanks

PS- I just got some hand me down carriers!! YAY so glad. A Moby and bjorn. any tips on how to nurse wearing the babe? I heard ergo was the tops for that though? ANyone selling one in good condition? Thanks again!

Default Re: Bad latch or Bad side in general?

Never too late to fix a "bad" latch. And it's fairly common for one side to be more problematic than the other, both latch wise and supply wise.

Is baby gaining well, all good in that dept?

Some possibilities to consider: 1) That less preferred side has lower milk production or slower letdown. 2) that side has a faster letdown 3) it is uncomfortable for baby to nurse on that side (positioning) Any of these sound possible?

Do you have nipple injury or anything going on that coudl be casuing the pain?

Moms can learn to nurse with any carrier, (obviously some find it easier than others, I was never great at it myself in anything but I could nurse a baby in a pinch in the moby if nothing else.) While I think the ergo is great, moms have been nursing in slings and wraps for generations before the ergo was invented.

Thanks for the reply.
    Gaining well at this point. At 11 weeks, LO weightt was at 13'9. Birth weight 7'0. All check ups have been good so far.
    You know, I just dont knwo about the supply. Seemed like when my milk first came in, the problematic side seemed to have more milk. A LC at the hospital actually told me that too, but she always gave me some Bad advice in another area. Now it seems like it may have less milk production. ? I do feel the letdowns usually, doesnt seem to be too slow.?? I think it may seems uncomfortable for the baby as well. I am clueless really. That nipple seems to have off and on sorness/cracks because of the latch.? well, i jus dont know.... seems so weird I have no anwers sorry!

I know it is often hard to pinpoint what exactly is the problem, that is one reason why La Leche League refers to breastfeeding as an "art" rather than a science.

So here are some (very general) ideas of what to look for-a fast letdown could make baby clamp or pull off. A slow letdown (which is more rare) could make a baby frustrated and to pull and twist trying to get things going.

Discomfort like neck pain or ear pain while nursing would probably cause several behaviors like what is above but mostly will make a baby reluctant to nurse in that position entirely.

Nipple injury sounds like the latch itself is off-either the whole time, or baby is PULLING off (maybe partially) partway through the session, or starting off at too shallow a latch and then sucking the breast in. So observing the rise and fall of the pain while nursing may give clues to what exactly is happening there.

I think the way a latch feels is much more important than how it looks, so I think your observations when nursing are very important. But having someone watch you nurse and offer suggestions may certainly help-is that what you have done with the local LCs?

Pumps can cause nipple injury. Are you pumping fro any reason?

I have also heard of moms treating what basically amounts to mysterious latch pain with pure organic coconut oil with good result. APNO would be another option. If you have nipple injury at least use lanolin or something to help speed healing.

I know it is often hard to pinpoint what exactly is the problem, that is one reason why La Leche League refers to breastfeeding as an "art" rather than a science.

So here are some (very general) ideas of what to look for-a fast letdown could make baby clamp or pull off. A slow letdown (which is more rare) could make a baby frustrated and to pull and twist trying to get things going.

Discomfort like neck pain or ear pain while nursing would probably cause several behaviors like what is above but mostly will make a baby reluctant to nurse in that position entirely.

Nipple injury sounds like the latch itself is off-either the whole time, or baby is PULLING off (maybe partially) partway through the session, or starting off at too shallow a latch and then sucking the breast in. So observing the rise and fall of the pain while nursing may give clues to what exactly is happening there.

I think the way a latch feels is much more important than how it looks, so I think your observations when nursing are very important. But having someone watch you nurse and offer suggestions may certainly help-is that what you have done with the local LCs?

Pumps can cause nipple injury. Are you pumping fro any reason?

Nursing pillows can sometimes cause awkward positioning, especially if baby has essentially outgrown it. Also I would suggest continuing to play around with positioning to find on that works best. If baby is tucking his chin at all this could cause owie latch or baby discomfort. You want baby to be able to access the breast and drink with head slightly tilted back if that makes sense.

I have also heard of moms treating what basically amounts to mysterious latch pain with pure organic coconut oil with good result. APNO would be another option. If you have nipple injury at least use lanolin or something to help speed healing.