Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassy foods

Default Gassy foods

Here's a silly question...

If I eat something that makes me gassy will it in turn make DD gassy? Still trying to figure out my 5.5 week old and her reactions to different foods.

My first daughter wasn't sensitive to much, so I cross my fingers with this one!
    Thanks in advance.
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

Default Re: Gassy foods

My son was gassy no matter what I ate. I was warned about certain foods, but honestly those foods made absolutely no difference at all for us. I think that things like oversupply, overactive letdown, and your baby's unique physiology and gut flora have a far bigger impact than what you eat (unless there is some kind of allergy, of course).
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

The foods that make adults gassy usually aren't the ones that make babies gassy. When a baby's gas is diet-related, the usual culprit is cow's milk in mom's diet, not the beans, broccoli, or cabbage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, just a random thought I had today! Newborns are so mysterious!
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

What about spicy foods like salsa or hot sauce? Does that effect the baby in any way? Ive been avoiding those foods just in case Also I heard that you shouldn't eat peanuts in case they are allergic, is this true?

Spicy foods aren't a problem. I sometimes think there's a giant plot afoot to get breastfeeding moms to live on nothing but rice and water. It's no wonder so many moms give up nursing before they've even begun, since the conventional wisdom seems to be that a mom has to have a "perfect" diet or else risk making inadequate, gas-promoting milk.

Avoiding peanuts is also not necessary, although if you have a strong history of allergy in your family you may want to be cautious with them and with other highly allergenic foods like shellfish, particularly once baby starts solids. One interesting thing about food allergies is that specific allergies do not seem to be heritable, though the tendency for allergy is. So if you're allergic to strawberries, that doesn't mean your child will also be allergic to strawberries, but it does increase the chances that your child will be allergic to something.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"