Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Work on Monday- Confused and Uncertain

Default Back to Work on Monday- Confused and Uncertain

Good Morning,

I'm going back to work on Monday and I'm feeling like a wreck...one I'm leaving my baby but two, I'm very anxious about making sure she has enough milk while I'm gone.

As per suggestions from this forum, I've been pumping every day this week, same time every morning. I have roughly 4 bottles ready for her on Monday. But! This is where I get confused and worried.

On this forum, someone had said that 3 oz bottle was plenty for a newborn, using a special bottle feeding technique to simulate breastfeeding. But the lactation people at the hospital where I gave birth said to use this formula:

Baby's weight X 3 then divided by 8 feedings (in 24 hour period).

So for example, my 8 week old weighs probably around 13 pounds (guesstimate)....that means each bottle while I'm gone would need to be almost 5 oz. Much different that 3! And then someone else said 1-1.5 ozs for every hour I'm gone. I'll be away from her roughly from 6:45 AM- 6 PM.

Can someone please clarify this for me? My baby would need probably 4 bottles while I'm away and I just want to make sure she has what she needs.

Thank you!
    Proud mama of baby Natalie. Born 5-19-12, 8 lbs, 5 oz, 22 inches. She's gonna be tall and strong!

Default Re: Back to Work on Monday- Confused and Uncertain

The LC said 5 oz at one feeding? In my opinion that is a huge amt for an 8 week old, remember her stomach is no bigger than a large marble. If it were me, id leave 12 oz that you have, 4 bottles of 3 oz and make sure to feed right before you leave baby. Im guessing if the person watching her watches feeding cues that that will be sufficient.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I agree. I think 3 ounce bottles are appropriate. But since you're going to be gone for almost 12 hours, I'd maybe leave an extra bottle (so, five 3 oz bottles, just in case). I think it's better to leave an extra small bottle rather than fewer large bottles. Or make the extra, fifth bottle just 2 ounces to tider her over until you get home if she is hungry.

My DD started daycare this week and has never had more than 3oz bottles. She is 13 weeks.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Also instruct them NOT to feed her within the last half hour of you being there. THat way she will nurse for you right when you get there. And that formula is wrong. It's 1-1.5 oz for every hour away from baby. If you used the formula they gave you at the hospital than as your childs weight increased she'd need more breast milk. And that is not the way it works for breastfed babies. They don't increase their intake as they get older the way formula babies do. Because instead your milk composition changes to meet the needs of your growing child.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    The LC said 5 oz at one feeding? In my opinion that is a huge amt for an 8 week old, remember her stomach is no bigger than a large marble. If it were me, id leave 12 oz that you have, 4 bottles of 3 oz and make sure to feed right before you leave baby. Im guessing if the person watching her watches feeding cues that that will be sufficient.
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Also instruct them NOT to feed her within the last half hour of you being there. THat way she will nurse for you right when you get there. And that formula is wrong. It's 1-1.5 oz for every hour away from baby. If you used the formula they gave you at the hospital than as your childs weight increased she'd need more breast milk. And that is not the way it works for breastfed babies. They don't increase their intake as they get older the way formula babies do. Because instead your milk composition changes to meet the needs of your growing child.
    and this

definitely don't leave 5 oz bottles, it would be a huge waste....

try not to stress too much, where will your lo be? at a center? or with a family member? at home with a nanny? have you talked with the caregiver about how they should feed the baby? have they cared for a Breastfed child before? we can direct you to some links of helpful information you can share with them if you like.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Great advice from the PPs! You might even want to break the bottles down even further. A couple 1-2 oz bottles for "top-offs" can help prevent overfeeding. If you leave a large bottle and the baby chugs it but still wants to suck, and then the caregiver reaches for a second large bottle, you can go through a huge amount of milk in a hurry! If the caregiver has a smaller bottle available for top-offs, baby may get more reasonable amounts of milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is great advice! I feel much better. Thank you everyone. I'll stick to my 3 oz servings, I do have some "top-off" portions that mommal recommended.

She will be with her grandma for the first week then at an in-home daycare following that week. The DCP has dealt with breastfed babies before so I'm sure she knows what she's doing. I'm going to meet with her prior to my LO's first day to discuss feedings, etc.

I guess I just got confused bc my LO is bigger than most 8 week olds. So I figured her tummy would be bigger than the typical 8 wk old, so she'd need more. Am I wrong here?

Also, what are some tactics if she does drink the entire 3 ozs and keeps sucking? Does she just want something to suck on or should I have them change her diaper and play with her? I'm sure she will let the DCP know when she's hungry...she sure does with me.
    Proud mama of baby Natalie. Born 5-19-12, 8 lbs, 5 oz, 22 inches. She's gonna be tall and strong!

Yes you are wrong. The idea that bigger babies need MORE is a formula driven idea. As formula fed babies get bigger they need MORE. That isn't true of breastfed children. Breastfed children eat 24-32oz in a 24hour period, PERIOD. They may vasilate within that range, but that is what they need. Small quantities that are quickly absorbed into their developing tissues and organs OFTEN. The milk composition changes and meets their needs as they grow.

Way too lazy for formula

My son if he wanted to keep sucking would suck on my finger. He did that until he was 4.5 months old and then he rejected that. His need to over suck substantially subsided right around then.

Way too lazy for formula

thank you! that explanation helps so much! i took the breastfeeding class at the hospital and they never explained this. just gave us that calculation i mentioned in my post.