Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moms nursing older toddlers

Default moms nursing older toddlers

Hi ladies,
    I am still nursing my 3 year old. he still nurses quite a bit. Usually 3-4 times during the day starting when he wakes up before he will eat breakfast and usually 2-3 times at night. I'm still usuallly fine with this and enjoy nursing except for an off day here and there. I kind of feel alone at this point. Nobosy outside of our home know that we are still nursing. No public nursing anymore and not at anyone else house. We started that at age 2 because I couldn't take most of my family members anymore. I'd just like to hear from some other moms are currently or have nursed a 3 year old. Tips, advice, stories whatever! It is lonely when yo can't discuss thngs like this.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Default Re: moms nursing older toddlers

Hello I nursed my DS1 until he turned 4 actually a few times after that too. It got overwhelming for me with a newborn tandem nursing so I nudged him into weaning. I wouldn't do it any other way though, I love that he will have memories of nursing together!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Since my son is only 5 months I cant say anything but you both are a inspiration. I had issues with BF my DD and ended up FF her but I plan on BF for as long as my son will like. Hopefully we will make it as long as you all have either way its up to him in the end.

DD will be 3 in October. She nurses a number of times a night and 3-5 time during the daytime (it would be more but I cannot hack it). We do not nurse around other people but that is because I chose that rule as a way to limit the amount of nursing. It is a dance once you get to this age. It is much more interactive and much more of a two way street. If it works for the two of you it is right.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetdarling1983 View Post
    Since my son is only 5 months I cant say anything but you both are a inspiration. I had issues with BF my DD and ended up FF her but I plan on BF for as long as my son will like. Hopefully we will make it as long as you all have either way its up to him in the end.
    Thanks mama! You can make it too. Toddler nursing is a whole different ball game. Keep it up!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I nursed my son until he was 4.5 years old. At 3 we were not completely in the closet but there were definite limits like you speak of and we were actually able to begin the dialogue about weaning. I felt like it was really important. That he was consulted about that and that he felt he was involved in the decision making progress.

Way too lazy for formula

If all the women who are nursing toddlers suddenly turned bright blue, you might notice a lot of blue women walking around! Nursing an older child feels lonely because it often happens in private and because people often don't mention that they have a nursing 3, 4, or even 5 year-old.

I nursed my older kid until she was 3 and am trying to go that long with my second daughter (I'm finding toddler nursing quite annoying at the moment!).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nursing a 3yo over here! DD is heavily into nursing, and there is no end in sight. She would "sit together" or as she says it, "Sit togever" all day if I let her. She nurses in the am, any time thru the day that I sit down, and at night and overnight. She just loves is. I dont mind, and few people know, although with the whole Time magazine cover and people calling me outraged, I yelled, "So what I am nursing a 3yo too!" and that shut em up SO I guess more people know now then I planned on letting know, but its all good!

I dont know, I look at her and she still wants and needs to nurse. She finds so much comfort nursing, and is clearly not ready to be done, so she nurses. I have began thinking what to do and say when she is older, and it will be time to discuss weaning, casue I feel this child would be fine nursing forever.

You arent alone, I know several mommas nursing 3year olds (LLL mommas), and many of us here.

What lucky children we have
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I'll be nursing a 3 yr old in one week. She nurses about 2x/day now, sometimes more. I did night wean her because I needed the sleep and was pregnant (and nursing was really painful for me) but she does enjoy nursing for the emotional closeness. Definitely not for the nutrition at this point as I only have a few drops of milk. She talks about nursing so much I don't know when she'll be ready to wean.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My LO is 2 and 1/2 and there's no end in sight on his nursing. We do nurse at my parents house on occasion, but otherwise it's all done at home. We choose not to NIP or at any other family memeber's homes because of the quiet chatter, comments, etc. He nurses 4-5 times a day and at night 3-4 times. I just don't talk about it to others because they don't need to know, and I don't need to hear their negative comments. I agree with all the other mamas here. And to quote one mama she said "what lucky children we have". That is the god's honest truth. They are getting so much love, comfort, and health from nursing, so keep it up mama!!!!!!! There are many of us out there.
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and