Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to start thinking about changing my diet?

Default When to start thinking about changing my diet?

My baby is 3 1/2 weeks old. She spits up very frequently; most of the time it's not much, but occasionally it'll be forceful projectile vomiting (like once or twice a day). Her diapers are normal - yellow and seedy stools, frequent poops and pees. She's gaining very well. However, she seems so uncomfortable all the time. She has a hard time sleeping at night - she stays up grunting, whining and spitting up all night. She's been very fussy and seems like its painful when you press on her tummy. I thought this was all due to OAL/oversupply, but I'm starting to doubt. I've done everything I know of to treat that (block feeding, laid back nursing, letting it spray into a rag), and it only seems to be getting worse. Do I need to start cutting foods out of my diet? I would start by cutting out dairy, right? I just want her to be happy, I'm willing to do it but would rather not if it's not neccesary. I just want the crying to stop!

Default Re: When to start thinking about changing my diet?

What do you have to lose by cutting out all dairy for 48 hrs? If nothing changes then you know it wasn't dairy, you could then try something else but you might end up learning that it was nothing in your diet. But if it is something in your diet then you can control it.

Are you saying you have your OAL/OS under control now?

Dairy and soy are both some of them top foods babies are sensitive to. Others include fish, shell fish, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, eggs and a few others I can't think of right now, citrus is fairly common. But, I'm not saying cut all of those out, either. A lot of babies are sensitive and it's personality. My baby spit up pretty often, she was very fussy. I eliminated everything but brown rice, turkey, pears and potatoes for 2 weeks and she actually got fussier. She is a very sensitive 3 yr old now, with no food allergies, but I think her fussiness was due to her personality, not my diet.

I hope you find something that works. I know it's hard having an upset baby and you don't want her to feel badly, either.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Dairy is the usual culprit, IF there is a food sensitivity/allergy. But food sensitivities via breastmilk are rather rare, overall.

Typically improvement is seen quickly once the offending food is eliminated from mothers diet, but it may it not take longer than 48 hours?

In order to prevent mom starving herself, ONE food category at a time should be eliminated. So you could try dairy, and if that does not work, try the next thing you think it might be-while adding dairy back INTO your diet. BTW to the above list you could add gluten.

But OS/OALD is much more common, can take quite a while to resolve, and would explain all the "symptoms." If you truly have os/oald, I would be surprised to see it resolve this early. And some moms need to take more drastic measures with over production.

Your baby is healthy and thriving. Spit up that is not painful for baby is not a medical issue, even if there is lots of it. Discomfort could be from so many things. I know this is upsetting but just know that even when the issue is for sure a food allergy, the medical recommendation is to keep nursing.

When I had OALD I had to nurse baby basically upright and keep baby upright most of the time, certainly for a long time after nursing. So baby spent a lot of time on my or my husband's chest. Laying baby down flat on his back typically just did not work. Also one thing many moms forget to do with OALD is to nurse VERY frequently, all day and night. Small, frequent feedings are best with oald issues, even if you are block feeding.

This may be helpful: ABM Clinical Protocol #24: Allergic Proctocolitis
    in the Exclusively Breastfed Infant: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

I don't know if I've resolved the OAL/OS, but it's definitely better than it was. I just don't know what else I can do to help it, basically. I just feel horrible she's in so much discomfort, I want to try all I can to help her.

I didn't realize it only took 48 hours for foods to get out of your system. I was thinking it took a few weeks for some reason. That's very reassuring news! If she's still this fussy tomorrow I'll try cutting out dairy for a few days and see what happens. Like you said, it couldn't hurt, right?

Thanks for the help everyone. This has been one of the frustrating things about breastfeeding - whenever she's fussy or gassy I feel like its my fault. Like I'm doing something wrong - am I feeding her too much? Not enough? Not switching sides enough? Eating the wrong foods? ...etc. Its been so stressful for me. I love breastfeeding her so far, but this self-doubt is killing me. It doesn't help that my hormones are already out of whack!

I've always thought that dairy took a few weeks to get out
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

from the ABM protocol I linked above: " To make it as simple as possible, one can start by
    eliminating the most likely suspects for allergies one at
    a time (i.e., cow’s milk [and products made with cow’s
    milk like cheese, butter, ice cream, and other dairy
    products], soy, citrus fruits, eggs, nuts, peanuts, wheat,
    corn, strawberries, and chocolate). Mothers are instructed
    to eliminate one food or food group (e.g., dairy
    products) at a time and wait a minimum of 2 weeks and
    up to 4 weeks. Most cases will improve within 72–96
    hours.
    2. If there have been no changes with the infant’s symptoms
    in that time, the mother can usually add this food
    back into her diet and eliminate another food or food
    group from the list…."

It can take more than 48 hrs to get it out, but I was told that you should see some difference within 48 hrs. I eliminated dairy only for 2 weeks, saw no change and then did the total elimination diet for 2 weeks. For me, I just wanted a quick result if there was something in my diet so I chose the TED.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My lo's needed tummy time on the floor to help them expel gas and flex their tummy muscles.
    I would put a blanket on the floor and lay them down on their tummy. even though initially the baby cried and fussed a bit when I did this, eventually the baby liked the feeling of a hard surface against the belly.
    My DD5 however really liked the infant seat that I velcroed her into for a brief period of time. She would squeeze her gut against the material and pass gas and move her bowels to her hearts content.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

My DD has had similar issues, and like one person said, I'm pretty sure its part of her personality. She does have some reflux, but I don't think it is what bothers her specifically, because she was fussy and grunted ALL the time for a while there. When she started spitting up around 6 weeks, it was like it bothered her more trying to keep it down than let it come out. She's 10 weeks now and starting to grunt less and be more cheerful, cause I think she's finally figuring out what to do with her digestive system. It was like she was trying to do the work for it, instead of just letting her digestive system do what its supposed to do. I do bicycle her legs a lot and sometimes she even just passes gas on her own while she's nursing. It's like getting her stomach working on what's coming in helps what needs to get out the other end! I guess my advice from personal experience is that she will probably grow out of it faster than you realize & to try to keep her comfy and upright after she eats for a little while. I have one of those nap nanny seats & if she's knocked out in a food coma, I put her in it and she sleeps much more comfortably without spitting up.

I eliminated dairy at 3 weeks with my daughter as well as put her on Zantac. Night and day difference. It was worth it and after she was 3 or 4 months old I slowly added it back in with no problems. She was grumpy and sad until I eliminated it then she was a happy baby.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again