Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Responding to Pump

Default Re: Not Responding to Pump

I am getting ready to start again (like in 3 days). I tried adding an extra nursing session with her this morning and she was not having it. I'll take everything into account. Not too worried about it but this is my first time nursing a baby (all my other kids are adopted) so I'm still getting the hang of things.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama308 View Post
    I am getting ready to start again (like in 3 days). I tried adding an extra nursing session with her this morning and she was not having it. I'll take everything into account. Not too worried about it but this is my first time nursing a baby (all my other kids are adopted) so I'm still getting the hang of things.
    you'll hit your groove right about the time you pump wean kidding but really it's like a moving target; after you compensate for one change a new one comes along! that's what's so great about these forums, there is almost always a mom here who has been through it before you.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

After being home and nursing all weekend, it does not appear that I have a supply issue. My issue just seems to be with not being able to let down when I pump. I have pumped twice since this morning and I get some milk (not the thick, fatty stuff...just the lighter colored). I keep the pump going to for about 10 minutes but let down does not happen. When I nurse, let down takes about 30-45 seconds of sucking to happen.

Any tips. I try to get my office warm (I have a little space heater) and look at pics of my baby, but let-down just won't happen.

have you replaced the pump parts? membrane and tubing?

what about breast shields (the horns) have you checked that you are using the proper size?

also for me i had to hook up and completely take my mind of pumping, nowt wait for the letdown and not even look at the bottles
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

No, I will try to replace them though soon. I think my lactation consultant at the hospital where I delivered sells all the parts. I will check to see if they have the breast shields as well.

also near me a USA baby sells the parts I needed for a medela, most hospitals where they have labor and delivery departments will also sell them, call first but yes... I'll be right back with a great link on the breast shield size
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; July 16th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

here you go
    here's the most awesome link serena gave me
    http://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping/...w-can-i-get-it
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama308 View Post
    No, I will try to replace them though soon. I think my lactation consultant at the hospital where I delivered sells all the parts. I will check to see if they have the breast shields as well.
    Amazon sells the ameda replacement kit, too. I had to replace my parts right about the timing you're talking about. Night and day difference.

Definately try to take your mind off pumping by looking at a magazine, reading a book, listening to music or a book on CD - the more you think about it and stress over it, the longer the let-down will take.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

You ladies are great! Instead of staring at the bottles (like I used to do), I just watched some funny clips on YouTube and pumped plenty with no problem at all. It worked again today. Crazy how the mind-body works together like that. I am still going to replace my parts (at least to have a back up) but taking my mind off of it did wonders. Thanks so much!