Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Responding to Pump

Default Not Responding to Pump

I work 2-3 days outside of the home so I pump when I am at work. When I am home, my 6 month old nurses 5 times per day, every 3-4 hours. She sleeps through the night.

When I first returned to work, I could pump 6-8 oz. without a problem. Now when I pump, my let down reflex will not happen and I only get maybe 2-3 oz.

Any tips? It is getting a bit frustrating. I have a big supply saved up & frozen from the first few months but we will eventually run out. We are doing baby-led weaning so she isn't on solids, besides gnawing on them occasionally.

Default Re: Not Responding to Pump

and

let's see if we can help you out.

1. how long have you been back at work?
    2. have you gotten AF back yet?
    3. have you inspected all of your pump parts and/or replaced the most likely suspects (membrane, tubing, etc...)
    4. what is your pumping routine and has it changed recently? (what do you do while pumping, what times do you pump)

let's start with these questions and go from there.
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; July 12th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Excellent questions from the PP. Just for the record, 6-8 oz per pump session is extremely high output and while some moms can pump that much in the beginning of their nursing journey, most moms cannot maintain that level of production indefinitely. Also, did your LO arrive at 5 nursing sessions per day on her own, or is she on a schedule? 5 nursing sessions per day, plus sleeping through the night, is at the extreme low end for nursing frequency for a 6month old baby. Most babies that age are nursing at least 8 times a day, unless they're being supplemented with formula or solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've been back at work for about 4 months. What is AF (sorry, don't know the code terms on here)? I have not looked into my pump. What should I be looking for? I will definitely check it out. Didn't even think about that. I pump at the time I would feed her.

She pretty much has set her own schedule. I certainly would feed her more but she is not interested. In fact, there are times I think she would go longer if I didn't initiate the feeding. She is in the 97% percent for weight and height so her health has not been a concern. I've tried to feed her "off" her schedule (i.e. doing it an hour earlier than usual because it worked better for me but she is usually frustrated or will only eat for a very, very short amount of time).

According to lots of friends with babies (also breastfeed) her age, it doesn't seem that she is eating all that less frequently than others. She never seems hungry or unsatisfied. The only times she has struggled with nursing is when she has had a cold.

AF = Aunt Flo = your period.

It's very common for moms who pump to eventually need to pump more often than they did in the beginning. The pump doesn't empty the breast or maintain supply as well as the baby does, so when you get a decrease in output you treat that by increasing demand. If you pump every 3 hours, try pumping every 2, or adding sessions after nursing when you're home with your baby.

I swear, it really is unusual for babies to nurse just 5 times a day at 6 months! Obviously your LO has not suffered for it- but just FTR it's atypical for an exclusively breastfed baby. My kids nursed 5-6 time just during the night at that age.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, my period returned very quickly (when she was 3 months old).

I'll check out my pump parts and try to pump more often. I have my own office and a very "mom-friendly" workplace so pumping more often won't be a problem. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try.

What kind of pump is it? Many mkms try to save money and buy a pump that wears out pretty quickly.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It is actually a really nice pump (Ameda Purely Yours Ultra). It was highly recommended by my lactation consultant.

What is a MKMS?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama308 View Post
    What is a MKMS?
    i think it was a typo and she meant moms, she's usually pumping while typing

are you getting ready to start your cycle again? I mean if your period returned a few months ago is about time for you to start again? if so i always noticed a supply dip for the week leading up to my period. i treated this just as Mommal said and pumped MORE, adding in longer sessions and even an extra session. your babe is probably a very efficient nurser and your pump is never as good as a babe

as for pump parts you can usually replace the tubing and membranes very cheaply and see if you notice a difference. most of those parts need to be replaced every so often anyway. and Keep us posted
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07