Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: severe/oversupply/oald-need advice-ready to give up

Default severe/oversupply/oald-need advice-ready to give up

my dd was born april 13. she is 12 weeks. birthweight 7 pounds 5 oz. she now weighs 11 pounds 9 0z. weight gain has been great until the past 2 weeks. we have literally tried everything. we have been block feeding for 10 weeks to no avail. i have been evaluated by an endo for a prolactinoma and did not have one. also evaluated for thyroid issues. nothing there either. i have even tried 12 hour blocks that did not help. it made things worse. now doing 4-6 hour blocks. i tried sage, sudafed andpeppermint. did nothing. i also tried the complete pump out method and then tried block feeding. nothing! i have even taken a trial of bromocriptine which is the med they use to dry up milk. helped a bit, but once i stopped, severe rebound oversupply. the only pumping i have done was the complete pump out where i got 7 oz from each breast. our worst times are in the morning as my daughter sleeps through the night and has for the last 4 weeks. the 12 hour blocks made us both miserable! she threw up so much because of the foremilk! so sad and frustrated. i know pumping is supposed to make it worse, but i feel it is the only thing we have not tried. we already nurse laying down let the let down spray. literally tried everything!!!! she nurses every 2 hours or more often but fusses constantly. i also have no idea how to pump while at work as to not increase supply. i work 12 hour shifts. please help. i thought it would be getting better at 12 weeks. it isnt. also tried birth control for a week. no help. ready to give up!!!

Default Re: severe/oversupply/oald-need advice-ready to give up

So what exactly is the issue? Are you not pumping at all on your 12hour shifts? Are you becoming engorged or getting clogged ducts? Is your baby not getting enough to eat? Weight gain sounds fine. And you seem to be working to deal with OALD. What are you looking for in terms of a solution?

Way too lazy for formula

The issue is that we are both miserable!!! I am engorged all the time. My poor baby screams all day!!! You can't begin to imagine how horrible this has been. Spending the day with a baby who screams constantly and cRies and vomits is no fun! This is extreme! No joke. So the issues are how to not have baby miserable from all foremilk and how to pump so as to not increase supply and mimic block feeding.

Hand express or manually pump to relieve engorgement. And the thing about OALD is that it will self correct on it's own AND usually the baby will begin to cope. And the fact that she is not striking and is still asking to eat every two hours is a very good sign. Also what makes you think there is any kind of imbalance in your milk? What does her poop look like?

Way too lazy for formula

When I pumped from one breast at work. It was all watery. No cream on top at all. Her poops are all liquid. Sometimes mucousy looking and explosive and foamy. Not seedy yellow. I breastfed my almost 3 year old for 2 years when she self weaned. I know what is normal and not normal. Any suggestions about pumping at work? Should I block pump? Just pump one breast until empty or just until I get what she needs for a feed? Typically 3 oz for her.

No no. I was thinking that you would pump just enough to to relieve engorgement. So that you body makes less. That is your ultimate goal right? The idea of you walking around for 12hours when her natural routine is to eat every two hours would be that you just take the edge off where needed and pump like 3times in a shift that long. So that your body eases up production. As far as the consistency of your milk, have you ever pumped enough that you see cream at the top? Because I hear women talking about this but the truth is there is fat in all the milk. It's true that at the beginning of a feed is it MORE watery so that if that is all the baby gets they get hydrated, but even that milk is laced with fat. And you aren't experiencing any weight gain issue right? I don't think that you should worry about the content of your milk as much as controlling quantity and force. Also there have recently been two women here who experience symptoms similar to what your describe and it went past the 12 week point. But all time time it did get better. When you spray into a towel and lay down to feed her she IS eating? She isn't rejecting your breasts? At the end of a 4-6 hour block how is the un eaten breast? Bursting? Or just full and ready?

Way too lazy for formula

When I pumped from one breast at work. It was all watery. No cream on top at all. Her poops are all liquid. Sometimes mucousy looking and explosive and foamy. Not seedy yellow. I breastfed my almost 3 year old for 2 years when she self weaned. I know what is normal and not normal. Any suggestions about pumping at work? Should I block pump? Just pump one breast until empty or just until I get what she needs for a feed? Typically 3 oz for her.

Don't worry too much about the watery milk and the liquid poops. Even milk that looks like it is "all foremilk" does contain fat and fat-soluble elements, so your baby is getting what she needs to grow and develop. The liquid poops and gas and fast letdowns are probably making her uncomfortable, but they're not making her unhealthy.

How long did you try block feeding? One mistake many moms make is that they try it for a few days, and say "Well, that didn't work", not realizing that they may have to keep at it for weeks, maybe even months.

When it comes to pumping, I am not even sure I'd pump at all- if I could hand-express, that is. Hand-expression is supposed to be less stimulating to supply than pumping. So if you can hand-express, do. If not, pump. Either way, I would take out 3 oz, and no more than 3 oz, even if you could get substantially more. The longer you leave milk sitting in the breast, and the more milk that sits in the breast, the better the chances that your body will get the message that it is making too much and decrease supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Definitely bursting. Her weight gain has certainly decreased from the beginning but remains ok overall. My milk looked different when the one other time I pumped by doing the full pump out. I do not have a stash in the freezer, so I must pump at least what she will eat as I don't really want to use formula. My ultimate goal is to make less so we can function as a family. If the let down was not so bad and would not make the problem worse to pump I would be happy to do that and donate, but it makes the problem terrible. She is not rejecting the breast, but I can tell at times she wants to because it hurts her belly so much. She definitely does not eat as much.

I have been block feeding the whole time. Just started out slowly and increased the blocks. We did do 12 hour blocks and the letdown was more then my daughter could take. It made things horrible. I will try and hand express but I worry about plugs and mastitis. I also don't have the most time to pump at work as I am a nurse. Thanks for the support. I am just sooooo tired of the pain and suffering we have endured these 12 weeks.