Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Already used a used pump, what do I do now?

Default Re: Already used a used pump, what do I do now?

Thanks everyone. My friends baby has general illnesses that babies get from daycare but otherwise healthy. I was thinking more that it might be something latent that might not show up now. I think I'll keep the milk to use for emergency purposes only (as I have been). I'll just move on from here and use the new pump and try to rebuild my freezer supply. Also, I'll try not to worry about this. I'm sure there will be something new to worry about next week

You cannot sterilize the inside. EVER. What is done is done, but PIS pumps are NOT closed systems. As the air flows through the pump, it can suck teeny droplets of milk inside the actual pump and grow mold. I'd be way more concerned about that myself. I posted a link here with photos on why used pumps are bad.

Save yourself the stress and go buy a closed pump. A Hygeia is ideal: WHO compliant, closed system. FDA approved for more than one user (which Medela, Lansinoh, and Ameda are NOT). Otherwise, you could look into Limerick.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm gonna skip looking at the pics. I already feel horrible about having used it and stressed about the potential harm I may already have caused. I also already bought a new pump. I also think I'll throw out all my frozen milk. So not much more else I can do. Thanks everyone.

I don't think you have caused your child any harm. And seriously, don't throw out your milk. If you decide later on that you want to throw it out, then fine, but please wait on that decision.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Ok, I haven't thrown it out yet. Thanks again.

CMV is very common. I believe It is found in over half of blood transfusions. The only worry is when your immune suppressed.

If it was me I wouldn't worry. I'm using a borrowed PIS. I'm not an expert but, isn't there a better chance you have had CMV and therefore the antibodies and could pass those on via Breast milk?

Don't toss your milk. If you are that worried about it, then you can boil it and use it for cooking or baking. Boiling will kill potential pathogens. But, honestly, I think it is probably just fine as is.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Don't throw the milk! You sterilized the parts and babies are healthy. I really wouldn't worry.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language