Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Already used a used pump, what do I do now?

Default Already used a used pump, what do I do now?

Hi All,

I don't know what I was thinking, but I was given a used pump and used it without looking up if it would be safe. I went back to work about 3 months ago and now my poor baby has been drinking milk expressed using it that whole time. I decided to buy a new one recently and while doing research on that I stumbled on the info about CMV and am afraid I have given her contaminated milk and I had no idea. The anxiety wondering about if she could have a latent illness is killing me and I'm not sure what to do. Is there a way to find out if it was contaminated? Also, should I throw away all my frozen milk? Is it too late? Did I make my baby sick because I went with what was easy (using the pump I had rather than buying one)? She has no symptoms that I can tell, and I know worrying isn't going to help anything, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Default Re: Already used a used pump, what do I do now?

What pump was it? From where did you get it? Did you buy new horns and bottles or were those used too? Did you sterilize or at least wash all parts prior to use? Is baby full term and healthy?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Medela Pump n style. From a friend. Yes new horns and bottles. Used tubes though and a few used bottles. All were thoroughly washed and sterilized prior to use. Baby was 2 weeks early had jaundice but no other issues. She didn't get any pumped milk until she was 3 months old.

The chances of your baby becoming infected with CMV from a clean sterilized pump that did not have fresh wet infected milk in it improbable.
    If you are worried that your baby has been infected w/ CMV take her to a doctor.
    There are other more likely sources of infection than thru a cleaned sterilized borrowed pump.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Ok just general anxiety about the whole thing. Nothing I can do about it now i guess. Should i toss my frozen milk though?

PS- I did not sterilize the valve or membrane or whatever it is called on this inside of the pump as I didn't realize I needed to. Does that make a difference?

I wouldn't toss the milk. I used a friends pump, not supposed to but I know a lot of us do. I think you can cross this off your worry list mama.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Yeah. Where did you get the pump? Was it from someone you knew?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes from her friend
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Is her friends baby sick?

Way too lazy for formula

If you trust that your friend doesn't have an illness that could be transmitted through milk I wouldn't worry about it and like Shelly said, if her baby is healthy, I wouldn't stress about it. I would not throw away your milk.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.