Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am i doing this right or is there a better approach

Default am i doing this right or is there a better approach

Hey everyone, this is my second posting and I currently have a 4 week old. We had a really rough start o nursing and I fear we have a ton of factors working against us including :
    tongue tie
    recessed chin
    Upper lip tie like I had when I was little
    poor milk transfer early on which contributed to angry biting and breaking the latch constantly
    Small nearly flat nipples
    And most concerning ; breast constriction or tubular breasts which are often associated with a condition called PCOS which prevents breast tissue from forming and maturing during puberty...my breasts were oddly shaped and deflated had a very short underside and large puffy areola with tiny pea sized nipples. I did get a breast augmentation (where no ducts were severed because I knew I would want to breastfeed) so they wouldn't appear so deformed. However this did not in any way address the amount of mammary glands or milk ducts...obviously.
    I was never asked as to why I had an augmentation by any lactation consultants, so they never took into consideration that I may not be able to produce enough milk with my diminished capacity.

Now...so far I have had issues with weight gain and horrible bleeding cracked peeling nipples from my poor son being so frustrated with the lack of milk transfer early on and I probably failed to let down and feed as often as I should have in the first place due to the worst pain...yes worse than my worst contractions in labor...

I was told to supplement with formula because my baby was starved and I have been ever since. I also started pumping and herein lies my question....when I began 3 weeks ago I was pumping every 2 hours I was beyond exhausted and never slept more than a few hours in a 24 hour period and hated everyone. I was only pumping 2.5 oz in a 24 hour period but I was also having him feed on my breasts directly and pumping after. Then I began pumping with a medela pump in style every 3 hours and I got more sleep, i took mothers.milk supplements and ate.more.and.got.up to 4.5 oz in a 24 hour period. At that time i was also feeding him on the breasts after pumping by using a syringe and tube that hospitals use for tube fed babies. I filled it with expressed milk first then formula. Then I got a medela symphony pumpm from the.hospital and continued this regimen almost exactly and within a week I got up to 8.25 oz in a day.
    Obviously I still want to increase.my supply but have been looking into demand v.s. scheduled feeding since I am obviously on a schedule and was wondering if there's were more ways or better methods to increase my supply with pumping primarily. Just to clarify; I pump every 3 hours with a four hour break at night and then feed my baby the milk plus supplement formula after each pumping through a medela sns on one breast and alternate sides each feeding. Unfortunately sometimes my baby is hungry right before I pump so he has to wait 15-20 minutes until I pump and set up...but I still feed him within half an hour of his demanding food... is this horrible? I just want to get to the point where I have a reliable production and I know how much to expect from my breasts so I know how much to supplement with formula before I stop pumping first.

I'm sorry this is so long and complicated but I have so little information available on my breast constriction and nursing with this condition... I don't even know if its possible to ever breastfeed exclusively with this baby or any future.babies...nobody has any answers...but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

As a side note...I did become engorged for a day when my.milk came in initially so it gives me hope that my ducts have higher capacity than they are producing now... is that a good indication? Keep in mind my baby had horrible latch and oral difficulties and I fed him less often than I should have but I just didn't know at the time that I was diminishing what supply I did have...

Uh.I am so frustrated about this whole ordeal, all I ever wanted was to breastfeed exclusively, but I am determined in any case to endure whatever difficulty to keep producing what little I can for the health of my son.
    Last edited by @llli*diymom; July 11th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: am i doing this right or is there a better approach

dear DIYMOM,
    You are progressing so nicely.
    You are making milestones when other women might have thrown in the towel.
    What ever you are doing is clearly working in your favor.
    I believe the SNS will enable you and your LO to have a satisfying breastfeeding relationship.
    And nursing is more than just about the milk.
    mothers who fortify themselves with quality information and realistic expectations understand the limits of nature
    and do not equate the need for a supplement with failing to meet their personal goals.
    you have heard of the book" Defining Your Own Success"?
    La leche League sells it on this website.
    you might appreciate having a resource written specifically for mothers with your particular set of challenges.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Obviously I still want to increase.my supply but have been looking into demand v.s. scheduled feeding since I am obviously on a schedule and was wondering if there's were more ways or better methods to increase my supply with pumping primarily. Just to clarify; I pump every 3 hours with a four hour break at night and then feed my baby the milk plus supplement formula after each pumping through a medela sns on one breast and alternate sides each feeding. Unfortunately sometimes my baby is hungry right before I pump so he has to wait 15-20 minutes until I pump and set up...but I still feed him within half an hour of his demanding food... is this horrible? I just want to get to the point where I have a reliable production and I know how much to expect from my breasts so I know how much to supplement with formula before I stop pumping first.

I agree with pp. You are doing amazing.

I would suggest that every mom in this type of situation has to figure out what is going to work best for her. (and this can evolve.) Pumping need not happen on a scedule, just as exclusive nursing would not typically happen on a scedule, as long as you are pumping often enough over all. This means not only how often but how long each time you pump-for some moms, they find they get more time in with the pump overall, fitting better into thier lives, if they do NOT scedule. I would also suggest there is no need (that I can see, but I am not you) for holding off on feeding baby in order to pump, as you can pump afterwards. A calm baby typically latches and nurses better so that would make me more inclined to nurse first. However, when a mom is doing so much (nursing and pumping) sometimes a scedule works better for her, sometimes not. So it's up to you.

I agree with the others. You have overcome so much and you're doing great.

I just wanted to mention that most newborns breastfeed more than every 3 hours. Is it possible for you to pump more often? Maybe even just every 2.5 hours. I know its a lot of work, but its that supply and demand system.

I would really encourage you to send an email to Dr Jack Newman after checking out his website. He is such an amazing resource and may have worked with other women with your condition.

He has a lot of useful handouts of information regarding low supply here: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...me=information
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)