Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moisturizers safe?

Default Moisturizers safe?

Hello!

Thanks to this wonderful forum, I know there's Infant Risk Center to find out if prescription drugs are safe, but do we have to worry about over-the-counter moisturizers/shampoos, etc.?

I'm (still) battling some skin issues. I've tried every purely natural and edible remedy I can find (coconut oil, etc.). I've even tried doing nothing. But after almost a month, this thing isn't subsiding at all. If anything it's getting worse. In the past, I've found an over-the-counter moisturizing cream that worked well, but it's full of all those unpronounceable ingredients/chemicals.

Can I assume that because it's not prescription and because it'll be applied topically on my head and face (nowhere near the breasts), that it's safe to use while nursing? Or, do I need to call Infant Risk Center for each ingredient? Do they even look into non-prescription stuff?

I suppose a simpler way of asking my question is: Does everyone else continue to use their favorite moisturizer/shampoo/cosmetics when breastfeeding?

Thank you!
    Mom to 4/19/2011, 5/14/2009, and 12/14/2002

Default Re: Moisturizers safe?

I would just lookup cosmetics on the EWG website...

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

...and determine my comfort level based on that.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you!

I never know how to read the results. There always seem to be so many unknowns ("data limited," etc.). Do you just look at the number?

And, wouldn't you know it? The moisturizer isn't on there. The company is, and it's 1-8. Ugh. I guess, I'll start typing in the ingredients. I've done this before, though, with something else and ended up more confused than ever.

If only companies would only use safe stuff ....

Thank you again for the idea, though. I had forgotten about Skin Deep.
    Last edited by @llli*smileyface; July 11th, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo

I a lot of cases OTC items do not penetrate the skin enough or are in low enough dosages to not affect nursing. One exception in my own like is Vitamin A/Vitamin A derivatives like retinol. In general I did NOT use them when my children will EBF, but now that they are older and nursing less I have begun again.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Skin deep is a great source but you can also just labe read. I am a firm believer that if you wouldn't eat it, you shouldn't rub it in to your skin. Alaffia has great products, Dr Bronner and Aubrey organics.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you!

I wish they'd say on the packaging how much penetrates the skin. I called the company. They haven't tested the product for either pregnancy or breastfeeding. And, I certainly wouldn't eat most of the ingredients.

I'll definitely look into Alaffia, Dr. Bronner, and Aubrey once I've sorted out this latest flare up. If anyone knows of a natural way to curb an excruciating itch, I'd love to hear it. I stupidly gave into it, and now I'm bleeding. $#!t. How I get myself into these situations is beyond me. Had a similar thing when I was breastfeeding my son nine years ago, but on a much smaller scale. I guess age isn't helping the situation.

Anyway, thank you so much for the advice ... and for letting me vent.

How about pure coconut oil?

Way too lazy for formula

Aubrey (at least the shampoo and conditioner) has changed their ingredients to some less cool stuff from the last time I got it.

Bummer about the Aubrey products. It's a shame when companies do that. *sigh*

And, yes, I have tried pure coconut oil. I've also tried aloe directly from the plant (although perhaps that's not great since I wouldn't feed it to my daughter) as well as an organic vegetable oil balm I found locally. I've even tried breast milk. Nothing seems to really soothe the itching enough or heal the skin.

But, thanks to your inspiration, I found some other ideas last night. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good for relieving itching, so I'm going to try that. I'm also going to try daily milk and olive oil baths; supposedly they moisturize really well. So, I'll keep experimenting until hopefully I find just the right thing.

Thank you all for the encouragement!

I totally understand the desire to find something natural. I think that's up to each individual person. However, generally speaking I don't think there's any major risk to using regular lotions and shampoos as one continues their nursing relationship. I wouldn't slather it on my nipples, but who does that anyway? I think it's fine to use regular lotions on your body, including your breasts. I do know you aren't supposed to use acne treatments with salicylic acid in them while pregnant.

I hear what you are saying about wanting to use natural products. It makes total sense. I just wanted to put this out there in case anybody reads this down the line and worries that their regular lotion may not be ok.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!