Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning off nipple shields and engorgement

Default Weaning off nipple shields and engorgement

We've had a rocky start to bf'ing but have managed to wean off nipple shields after 2 weeks use.

Last night was the first of night time feeds Elsie has managed without the shields so it's been 24 hours feeding totally from me without shields now.

With the shields Elsie took about 40mins to feed from one side then had a few gulps from the second side. Now without the shields she's taking about 20 mins from one side only and refusing the other breast when offered to her. Is this ok? She has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and seems very content.

Also since reducing/stopping shield use I seem to be becoming engorged quickly after each feed. Is this a result of her now only feeding at one side per sitting do you think i.e it's the side he doesn't feed from that's getting engorged - or is this something I worry about?

I'm concerned that if I pump to ease discomfort then I'll enter a cycle of oversupply/engorgement forever!

Sorry for so many questions - hope someone can help!!

Default Re: Weaning off nipple shields and engorgement

hurray Mrsrc!!!
    I beleive you have succeeded.
    24 hours w/o the shield is indeed done w/ the shield.
    ok. so now that your dd is stimulating your supply by elongating your nipple you may experience a readjustment period.
    let her nurse to comfort suck and try not to let too much time pass between feedings.
    If you are uncomfortably full and achy and she doesn't want the second side, you can relieve the pressure by hand expressing just a wee bit.
    You are right to try to refrain from expressing fully.
    keep up the good work. I am so happy for you.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair