Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible Dairy/Soy Allergy - Advice Appreciated!

Default Possible Dairy/Soy Allergy - Advice Appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm here because I suspect my 2-month-old daughter has a dairy/soy allergy or sensitivity, but I'm confused as to whether she has the symptoms. I'm familiar with dairy sensitivities because my son had a dairy sensitivity as an infant when I breastfed him, characterized by projectile vomits that were streaked with green/yellow mucus, and also green stools, fussiness, sleeplessness. Cutting out dairy helped immensely and he has been fine with dairy since he was 1 year old, and tolerates it fine now at 3.

My daughter started the forceful vomiting a month ago or so, but has never had any mucus in the vomit or anything even close to a green or bloody poop. Her stools are rather watery/sometimes foamy - not sure if this is a sign? She has a forceful vomit (lots of heaving, out the nose, etc.) usually just ONCE per day and usually in the evening after a fussy period, and she also has a lot of hiccups. Now, I have always also had a forceful/fast letdown, which I at first thought was the reason for her vomiting, but normally she pulls away for that and we re-latch after it's over.

I cut out all dairy almost a month ago and have been very strictly watching it. She had a period of 3 days with no vomiting, during which I had begun drinking soy milk. Since then she's been at it again, vomiting every day. I also cut out eggs two weeks ago and soy entirely a week ago, but no difference in her so far. She has had a few days over this month of cutting foods out (about 4 days total) with no vomiting, but despite logging my foods carefully, I can't make a connection as to what I did or didn't eat differently on those days. A week ago she had some coughing/gagging spells at night for 2 nights, too, and she has been a bit congested, but we all had colds, so maybe that's her deal with that.

So, to recap: no green poop, no rashes or anything, she sleeps pretty well for the most part. Just the vomiting once per day. Can this alone be a symptom of an allergy/sensitivity? She is not responding to my cutting out dairy/soy -- unless it's just going to take longer, but I'm surprised that I've seen NO alleviation in her symptoms in this entire month. Maybe she's allergic to something else and I should do a food elimination diet. What are your opinions?

I would even send someone my food diary... I'm desperate.

Default Re: Possible Dairy/Soy Allergy - Advice Appreciated!

Don't you think if it's anything its probably related to the forceful letdown? FFLD is consistent with ginormous spit ups and foamy poops. Since your baby is not generally in pain and is sleeping well, gaining well (I assume as you do not say) and there is no rash and poops are normal, I don't really see the problem? Giant spit ups can be just normal. Painful spitups and burps, along with pain lying flat and pain while nursing would indicate possible GERD, but spit ups alone that are not painful do not indicate gerd. (Giant spitups can be upsetting, to everyone, there is a difference between upsetting and painful. )

Since the big spit ups are usually once a day after a fussy period, I suspect perhaps 1) she is comfort nursing through the fussy period and, due to the ffld, maybe getting a bit much in the tummy and so her body is doing what is natural and getting rid of some and 2) she is crying lots during the fussy period and the air in her tummy from crying is leading to spitups. Or some combo. I would not suggest NOT comfort nursing, even if it leads to the spitups, because spitups are not a health problem.

Even though it happened with your son, food based allergies via breastmilk are statistically very rare and usually it's dairy when it does occur. If you want to cut out other foods to give that a go that is fine, but please then add BACK the foods that are clearly not the cause, so you do not end up living on rice like too many moms I have talked to.

If the gasping scares you (it would me) I would suggest hold baby upright after feedings, through and for a while after any spitups. Just being laid flat can make spitups more difficult for baby to handle.

Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine protocol on allergic reactions via breastmilk. http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

article on ffld with more ideas for helping baby handle the flow: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Don't you think if it's anything its probably related to the forceful letdown? FFLD is consistent with ginormous spit ups and foamy poops. Since your baby is not generally in pain and is sleeping well, gaining well (I assume as you do not say) and there is no rash and poops are normal, I don't really see the problem? Giant spit ups can be just normal. Painful spitups and burps, along with pain lying flat and pain while nursing would indicate possible GERD, but spit ups alone that are not painful do not indicate gerd. (Giant spitups can be upsetting, to everyone, there is a difference between upsetting and painful. )
    I kept reading that FFLD could lead to excessive spitting up, but I didn't know if her major, huge vomits could be due to that, and I also didn't realize foamy poops were consistent with FFLD. Whew. I had myself so psyched out about a food sensitivity as soon as she started that vomiting that my son had, so I really appreciate hearing this. She doesn't cry when she vomits; she just spews it out and is happy.. and yes, she is gaining very well indeed.

Since the big spit ups are usually once a day after a fussy period, I suspect perhaps 1) she is comfort nursing through the fussy period and, due to the ffld, maybe getting a bit much in the tummy and so her body is doing what is natural and getting rid of some and 2) she is crying lots during the fussy period and the air in her tummy from crying is leading to spitups. Or some combo. I would not suggest NOT comfort nursing, even if it leads to the spitups, because spitups are not a health problem.
    I hadn't thought about the fussing and air in her tummy, etc. I don't feel that the FFLD is as much of an issue in the evenings... at least, I feel it less in the evenings and we have less of her pulling away and my flow spraying everywhere in the evenings, but that's because she's nursing a lot through a fussy period and my breasts eventually feel incredibly soft and emptied. So maybe you're right about her just getting too much and also too much air because she's having a normal fussy period at night. It makes a lot of sense.

Even though it happened with your son, food based allergies via breastmilk are statistically very rare and usually it's dairy when it does occur. If you want to cut out other foods to give that a go that is fine, but please then add BACK the foods that are clearly not the cause, so you do not end up living on rice like too many moms I have talked to.

If the gasping scares you (it would me) I would suggest hold baby upright after feedings, through and for a while after any spitups. Just being laid flat can make spitups more difficult for baby to handle.

Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine protocol on allergic reactions via breastmilk. http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

article on ffld with more ideas for helping baby handle the flow: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    Thanks so, so much for your reply and the articles. One led me to two other articles that described to a T her behavior. One mom even said her baby would throw up once a day, in the evening, and his poops were green, and she thought he had a food allergy, but it was due to foremilk/hindmilk imbalance because of her FFLD. Now that you've said all this, it seems pretty obvious to me that she probably doesn't have any issue, especially with no other symptoms, and I think I will try adding the milk and eggs back in to see if she's still her happy self afterward.

Glad to help and I hope you can eat what you like with this baby!