Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to school after less than a week?

Default Re: Going back to school after less than a week?

I found the counselors email. I asked her about my options and brought up the webcam thing. Even if they can't count me as attending via webcam I won't be as far behind.

Any other suggestions on how I can work around my limited amount of time off?

OK, since you sound determined to make it work and are seeking suggestions rather than just opinions (which the pps have covered very well - it's definitely not common to pull off what you are hoping to pull off) I would approach your instructors and set up a time to talk to each of them about a few things. One, a plan to address the work you will be doing, two the possibility of working your pregnant butt off BEFORE baby arrives to finish some work so you can get ahead on things and stay in attendance.

What is your schedule going to be? Fall should be just classes as a pp mentioned (clinicals are usually later in the program) so do you know the timing yet? What is your setup for childcare? Could the person watching your baby potentially do so nearby so that you could bf before and after classes? It may help your bf relationship be more successful.

For the week that the baby is born, your timing looks like it may be around midterms - I'd have a plan in place with each instructor to account for the possibility of your baby's arrival. Also, assume leading up to the due date that you may or may not be able to attend classes. Basically you need to be as proactive about your studying ahead of time as possible and when it comes to attendance, I'm not sure what to suggest other than knowing that at any moment all of this work may be a bit of a crap-shoot. Personally I'd see if I could work with instructors on a personal basis to build -up face to face time and also be at least a week ahead on the curriculum before baby is born.

Can you bring the baby WITH you to school?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I doubt it but I'll ask.
    There isn't a nursery or anything, do someplaces actually let you keep the baby in class with you?
    If so that would be amazing, just not during clinicals.

Let's say I have to return to school after three days... When should I start pumping?
    The day before, or in between feedings starting a day early?
    Also what could I do to prevent nipple confusion?

Sorry I keep piling on the questions!
    Thanks for all your help.

Kelly gave you some good suggestions.

Mama, I don't want to be the poop in the punchbowl but what's your plan in the unwelcome event that you have a difficult or complicated birth? Imagine yourself in class sitting on a very tender episiotomy. Or in class with an abdominal incision. Nearly 32% of American women end up with c-sections, and that's generally a 6 week recovery during which you're not supposed to lift anything heavier than the baby. I am absolutely NOT wishing this on you- I just want you to have a plan in place in case your week off from class turns into a longer timespan.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What would your schedule away from baby be?

I think one of your biggest hurdles is going to be getting your milk to come in and build supply up in the very essential first few days. You likely won't have a milk stash built up by day 3 (because your milk doesn't really come in to that extent) so a lot of it depends on when you are going to be away from your baby.

It's a bit more to think about than just "how many bottles should I leave" because you're talking about bottles so early in the game. Having your baby with you, or at a minimum nearby so that you can nurse on breaks and before and after class IMMEDIATELY would be a tremendous plus in your favor.

And, like Mommal said, you're going to need a plan in the event of a complicated birth. What is the school's policy on medical leave? Should a student become ill and need hospitalization mid-semester, do they really have to start from scratch the following year and pay out of pocket for it? I doubt it - complications would likely fall under that category. So find out about medically necessary absence policies.
    Last edited by @llli*aphimama; July 12th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*victoria.g View Post
    I know you guys aren't trying to be discouraging, I was more talking about people in my life....saying I won't be able to do school while pregnant...my family is being supportive though.
    Going to school while pregnant is a breeze. Don't worry about that. The first trimester was tough for me because I was so tired, but I taught up until a couple days of giving birth (I honestly could have taught until I went into labor, but that happened over the weekend ). You just need to be prepared for time needed to give birth and to recover. Again, I'm not saying that it's impossible to get right back to it, just that it won't be easy and you will need to be prepared in advance for the different possible scenarios.

with everything that aphimama posted. Meet and make arrangements with all of your instructor. Get as far ahead in your coursework as possible. I think having someone keep the baby nearby so hat you can nurse between classes and on breaks is a great idea. If there is a coffee shop or diner or something similar on or near campus, they could hang out there.

I would also get a sling, wrap, or other type of carrier that you can easily nurse in. I kept my baby in a sling, nursing and rocking him, while I wrote and graded exams and worked on lectures to finish off my semester. I don't think I would have survived without that sling!

I'm glad that you've contacted someone at the school. I think as long as you are communicating with the faculty, making plans to cover all of your bases in case things don't go as planned, and keeping on top of things, then you have the best odds of making this work!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Can you bring the baby WITH you to school?
    Totally. Talk to your instructors about this. Newborns sleep a lot, so it is possible if your instructors will allow it. I gave my last lectures with my baby in a sling.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*victoria.g View Post
    Let's say I have to return to school after three days... When should I start pumping?
    The day before, or in between feedings starting a day early?
    That is going to be tough. Your milk might not even be in yet. I suppose you will have to start pumping the day before you go back, but you are going to need to be super careful to avoid oversupply when you do that. Only pump enough to cover what she will need while you are gone. Keeping the baby close so that you can nurse would be better.

Also what could I do to prevent nipple confusion?
    That is going to be a real risk no matter what you do that early on. Just make sure to use a slow flow nipple and paced bottle feeding methods.

ETA - paced bottle feeding info:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

And again - with everything aphimama said.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; July 12th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I mean to keep your baby with you in a sling or something, not at a daycare nearby.

I think you should delay and wait a year. I really do. I had a c-section with my first baby. I cannot imagine going to school the day I got home from the hospital - when she was 3 days old - on percocet and, really, even being able to leave the baby or function. They don't sleep in large chunks, even if you don't breastfeed (and I sure hope you do!), going to school with a 3 day old newborn is going to be TOUGH. I didn't have a c-section with my second baby and I still can't imagine having gone to class three days after she was born. You are a zombie and just surviving at that point.

Do you have a partner, I'm not catching that from your posts? And what exactly is your child-care plan?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you so much for your replies!
    I'm going to get my note pad and wrote down all the things I need to ask about.
    Thanks for bringing up the posiblility of complications and medical leave. I just want to go in prepared and know what to ask.
    The councelor got back to me, she forwarded my message to the woman incharge of the nursing program and told me I should call her. I hope I can call her soo n. (Currently have internet access but no phone!)

As far aschildcare I have several family members fighting over who gets to baby sit, so I was going to have them take turns. I'm going to talk to them and see which of them would be willing/able to bring her to me surfing school.