Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to school after less than a week?

Default Re: Going back to school after less than a week?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*victoria.g View Post
    The councelor got back to me, she forwarded my message to the woman incharge of the nursing program and told me I should call her. I hope I can call her soo n. (Currently have internet access but no phone!)
    Borrow a phone (go to a neighbor or ask a friend). You need to talk to this person right away. I would call to make an appointment to meet in person. You need to be prepared for the very real possibility that you will not be able to go back to school in three days, and the program chair will be able to help you figure out what all of your options are here.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I would also talk to your family members and find out how comfortable they are going to be with feeding the baby your milk. Some people have a hard time with that and have a real preference for formula. But this is YOUR baby and you get to say how he/she gets fed.

Good luck!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I mean to keep your baby with you in a sling or something, not at a daycare nearby.

I think you should delay and wait a year. I really do. I had a c-section with my first baby. I cannot imagine going to school the day I got home from the hospital - when she was 3 days old - on percocet and, really, even being able to leave the baby or function. They don't sleep in large chunks, even if you don't breastfeed (and I sure hope you do!), going to school with a 3 day old newborn is going to be TOUGH. I didn't have a c-section with my second baby and I still can't imagine having gone to class three days after she was born. You are a zombie and just surviving at that point.

Do you have a partner, I'm not catching that from your posts? And what exactly is your child-care plan?
    I'm going to ask about that. I only said the nursery thing because I know some schools around here have nurseries in the school that are free for students, and its in the school so you can stop by between classes.

I haven't made up my mind one hundred percent, I need to talk to my instructors first.
    I just feel like if I don't go to school this year I never will. I'm going insane. I had to put off college last year and I still regret it. I feel like I'm stagnating, I might completely loose my mind if I keep putting it off.

I have a partner, we are renting a trailer together. He has been supporting me financially, we live off of hos paycheck, its really hard but he is letting me stay unemployed for a while so I can get my education.

As far as child care we have multiple relatives who want to watch the baby while I'm at school.

I need to find a way to make this work, for me and the baby. If I don't find some form of compromise I'm going to have regrets either way.

I haven't made up my mind one hundred percent, I need to talk to my instructors first.
    I just feel like if I don't go to school this year I never will. I'm going insane. I had to put off college last year and I still regret it. I feel like I'm stagnating, I might completely loose my mind if I keep putting it off.
    But you are more likely to successfully complete the program if you wait one more year. You are also more likely to successfully breastfeed your child if you wait. One year passes in a flash. Even if you wait, you would be starting before you know it.

I do think that speaking to the head of the program and some of the faculty will put things into perspective for you. Perhaps they have something that you could do on a volunteer or audit basis this year if you are able to wait.

What if you waited to start the program, but took just one class over the winter/spring term that would be applicable at a community college? Like organic chem or something like that. You would still be working toward your goal, but just on a slightly modified timeline. And one class that starts after you give birth is definitely doable.

Or perhaps they will be able to accommodate you somehow if you proceed this year. The faculty are the people you really need to be discussing all of this with before you start making any plans. Please call yas soon as possible so that you can start getting this sorted out.

I need to find a way to make this work, for me and the baby. If I don't find some form of compromise I'm going to have regrets either way.
    I agree with this. I am all for furthering your education, but I think waiting one year so that you can take care of yourself and your baby is a reasonable compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    nearly 32% of american women end up with c-sections, and that's generally a 6 week recovery during which you're not supposed to lift anything heavier than the baby. I am absolutely not wishing this on you- i just want you to have a plan in place in case your week off from class turns into a longer timespan.
    eight weeks. And a need for vicidon.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    But you are more likely to successfully complete the program if you wait one more year. You are also more likely to successfully breastfeed your child if you wait. One year passes in a flash. Even if you wait, you would be starting before you know it.
    I know that I would hate to see my hard-earned tuition money go to waste if baby care turned out to be incompatible with school. If there's any path where you defer for a year, or slow down significantly (as with Phi's suggestion where you take a single course that applies towards your degree)- that's worth some very deep consideration.

Taking courses or working during pregnancy is a breeze. It's after the baby is born that things get difficult. When I was pregnant with my first, I took my dog on multi-mile x-country hikes up until 3 days before she was born, and I only stopped because my midwife told me to. I had the easiest birth ever, but five days after my baby was born I took the dog for a gentle 1 mile walk and had to lie down afterwards because the physical effort tired me out so greatly. Until you've gone through postpartum exhaustion, I think it's easy to underestimate how significant it can be.

ETA: Shelley, 8 weeks? Whoa. I had always heard 6. I have a friend who's having her 3rd c-section this fall, and I was planning to be there for her for 6 weeks. Looks like I'd better add some time to that plan.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Honestly I think that barring a complication I can physically handle going back to school.
    I'm still worried about how this will affect Rachel.
    I'm trying to think of ways to work around being away from her. Definately going to ask about bringing her to school, if not going to have someone bring her to me at lunch for nursing.

I feel like if I go to school now I will be able to spend more time with her in the future (if I wait ill probably have to work full time while in school and i would never see her then)
    When I graduate I am going to find a job that let's me spend as much time with her as possible.

If I do go to school this year, how can I maximize bonding time when we get to be together?

I know a woman who had her third baby by c-section and was back in school within a week. It was tough, but she did it. I think you can do it, but it's going to be tough, and it's going to mean giving up a lot of time with her (and for recovering from giving birth).

My doctor told me to allow 8 weeks for recovery from my c-section, but within 2 I was fine--definitely didn't need anyone doing things other than what anyone with a two-week-old needed, but not for recovery from the surgery.

Honestly I think that barring a complication I can physically handle going back to school.
    I don't doubt this. It is the potential complications that you need to be prepared for. But talking to the faculty is the only way to adequately prepare for that.

Definately going to ask about bringing her to school, if not going to have someone bring her to me at lunch for nursing.
    This is a good idea. Newborns typically need to nurse every 1-2 hours (and at times even more frequently than that). If you can keep her with you, that will solve a lot of potential problems. If you can't, then you will need to find a way to pump every 2 hours if you want to build your milk supply. It is difficult enough to maintain supply with a pump, but you will be establishing your supply to a large degree with a pump which will be even more difficult. So you will also need to discuss how/when/where to pump when you talk to the head of the program because you will need to pump a lot early on or you might end up losing your milk.

If I do go to school this year, how can I maximize bonding time when we get to be together?
    Nurse her as much as possible while you are together. Get a sling/wrap/carrier and wear her so that she can be close to you and nurse while you do things at home or while you are out and about. Cosleep.

I was thinking about keeping her bassinet right beside my side of the bed so we could have some of the bonding without the risk. My fiancee is a very heavy sleeper who rolls around and kicks in his sleep, so I'd be worried about having gher in bed with us as a newborn. Do you think this would be a good compromise?

I am going to talk to my instructors and do all I can to prepare for unexpected emergencies.

Is there anthing else I need to consider, or anything else I should discuss with my instructors?