Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to school after less than a week?

Default Going back to school after less than a week?

Hi! I am due October 13th.
    I start an LPN program this month. It is a year long program, witha fixed schedule.
    I can only miss 50 hours before I am dropped from the program (to take the test for a nursing license, you have to have completed 1300 hours of the 1350 hour program) and since we have three semesters, the hours are split up. I can miss about 2.5 days of school before I am put on a form of probation, which will affect my financial aid.

I have already completed some volunteer work for the school, so I have earned credit for an extra school day worth of hours.

I am hoping to talk to my instructors/concelors about any options I am un aware of, and what other students in my situation have done.

If my daughter is born near a week end, that should give me more time to recover, but not much. So...is it possible to go back to school full time 3 to 5 days after giving birth? Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation? Any tips on how to avoid nipple confusion when I have to return and leave her with expressed milk? Or how to deal with all the emotions, and being away from my baby while at school/clinicals?
    Last edited by @llli*victoria.g; July 11th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Default Re: Going back to school after less than a week?

Why wouldn't you not Postpone Starting until next semester?

Way too lazy for formula

They don't do that. There is one begining date and one graduation date. Semesters must be done in order as the classes and skills build on each other. It's not exactly like a normal college, as its a year long diploma program.
    I keep finding all this great advice about having a baby in college that I can't utilize!

My onl option for delaying school would be applying again next year, which I really don't want to do, expecially since I've already paid for the entrance fee, background check, drug screen, ordered my uniforms, gone through orientation, etc. and my tution has been payed (scholarships and grants).

I would also have to take the entrance exam again. I got one of the highest scores this year, but what if next year I don't do so well? My program only accepts the top 60-80 scores out of the 300+ people that qualify to take the entrance exam each year.

If I go now, I will have a nursing license before she is a year old, I can get a good job and take care of her.

I really want to do this, but people keep telling me I can't, its very discouraging!

School starts on the 20th, I'm going to make appointments with my councelor and the instructor incharge of the program to see if there are any options I am un aware of...
    I just really wish I could find someone who did something similar to tell me it can be done and how they handled it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*victoria.g View Post
    My onl option for delaying school would be applying again next year, which I really don't want to do, expecially since I've already paid for the entrance fee, background check, drug screen, ordered my uniforms, gone through orientation, etc. and my tution has been payed (scholarships and grants).
    Orientation, entrance exams, uniforms, etc. shoud all be good for next year. Even if you needed to take the exam again, I don't see why you would do worse on an exam you've already taken. If you talk to an advisor, you may be able to work something out to apply at least some, if not all, of the fees and financial aid to next year rather than this year. Of course, I can't say for sure, but it Is something you should at least discuss when you talk to someone at the school.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Is this your first baby? Three to five days...it's just so little time. Not only time spent with your newborn to start to learn how to be a mother and establish a breastfeeding relationship, but time for YOU to recover from childbirth. Even if it is a perfect birth. If there happened to be any kind of complications, it would be damn near impossible. And if you did go back after two days you would not be at your best and your schoolwork would suffer. I'm not saying it absolutely can't be done, but...there is a reason you aren't finding people who've done it.

Definitely speak with the folks at the school about possibly arranging a delayed start so you can avoid having to reapply and all the other stuff. It seems like with the high scores they'd be likely to want to help you figure out a way. They want qualified people in their classes and it would be better for you to start later than start now and potentially have to drop out.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well I don't think people are TRYING to be discouraging! Just realistic. I can certainly see why based on all that you have said you would WANT to try to go now. But if you start and then DROP OUT what are the chances they will even let you reapply next year? Because that is actually what I was thinking. People who have never had a baby think it will be so EASY to leave their child. And it's NEVER easy but IME people who leave them when they are 6weeks OLD are always the MOST traumatized. Because instinctually you understand on a pretty primal level that you are NOT supposed to be separated from your child that soon. And physically if you give birth vaginally you are supposed to take 6weeks off. If you end up having a c-section it's 8weeks before you are even supposed to drive. And that is before we even get into the implications around how detrimental it would be to your breastfeeding relationship to be separated on days 3=5 when your child is supposed to be nursing around the clock to establish your supply.
    I understand wanting to take care of her financially. I do. But going to work as a nurse will be hard and full time and it's not going to put you in position to see your kid more. And this time, this first year of her life, you are never going to get it back. Not matter how much money you are making. So if you have the opportunity to spend to with her, I would. Because again, what happens if you drop out because you are overwhelmed or decide like a lot of us do after meeting our children that it's not worth it to get back on the hamster wheel to pay someone ELSE to raise our babies? I work full time. I appreciate wanting to work and needing to. I took the 1st 14months of my sons life off. I financially PLANNED to be out with him for 6 months. Thinking that was SO LONG. And then when it was time to interview people to take care of him, I wanted to rip my eyes out. I found a way to make it work for another 8 months. IF a bunch of people who have BTDT are telling you it's not likely you should listen. I don't know if it's phsyically possible. I am not a doctor. But even if you are ABLE to do it, I don't know that you will want to. Babies don't ever fit into the life you have before you have them. You build an entire new life-around them. And I think if you are trying to breastfeed.......it will be hugely detrimental to that to walk away from your baby on day 3-5.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Well I don't think people are TRYING to be discouraging! Just realistic. I can certainly see why based on all that you have said you would WANT to try to go now. But if you start and then DROP OUT what are the chances they will even let you reapply next year? Because that is actually what I was thinking.
    Totally. I mentioned in your other thread that I really don't want to be a buzzkill. The thing is I teach undergraduate classes, and I've had to fail students who have stopped attending due to circumstances that are pretty minor compared to giving birth. Really good students too sometimes. It sucks. Of course that doesn't always happen, but even if you can push on with school, your work will suffer to some degree. Mothering a newborn is a full time job and you have to expect some impact on your coursework.

While I do think waiting a year is going to be best for your health, your performance in class, and your baby, it may be possible to complete the program if you have absolutely no other option but to go ahead with it this year (although you need to consider the possibility that you will give birth on a Monday, or need an assisted birth, etc.). Just be aware that it will be really, really hard. I do think that you need to talk to someone at the school to find out all of your options here. You need to have plans in place in case you cannot return to school in just a few days, which is a very real possibility. It's best to get this done as soon as possible, certainly before classes start.

Also be aware that some instructors are very uncool with absences; so even if you work something out with the school, you may still need to discuss your situation with the instructor for each of your classes individually as well.

Again, I'm not trying to be difficult, but the more prepared you are now, the easier things will be once the term starts.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Congratulations on getting into the nursing program and your baby.

I did my LPN in 2006 with a class of 50, 3 of which had babies and were right back to school in a few days. They were all successful in school, just not sure on BFing. Your on the right track being on this forum.

I understand how you do not want to wait until next year.

In my program there were no clinicals in Fall which would be good for you and BFing. Fall quarter for us was m-f from 9a-12p classroom most days and 6+ hours of studying a night. Do you know your schedule?

Good Luck

CB

what is the plan is the baby waits until 42 weeks to arrive?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm trying to type this on my phone...
    I know you guys aren't trying to be discouraging, I was more talking about people in my life....saying I won't be able to do school while pregnant...my family is being supportive though.

I know having a baby isn't easy. And what people are saying about being seperated...honestly that's what I'm worried about. I can drag myself to school if I'm in pain. I don't know if I can drag myself away from the baby though!

Also I know she might be born on a Monday. I'm just saying that depending on what day of the week she is born, I'll have 3 to 5 days with her.

What I've already paid is non refundable, they do not do delayed entry because of the way the program is set up.
    I don't see a problem in going to school while pregnant, so I really wouldn't want to delay, I just think ill need more time after the birth.

As far as possible options, the 50 hours thing is a requirement made by the state board of nursing, the only time an absence doesn't count against you is if you have been summoned to court. Im going to ask more about how the probation works. I might be able to take off more days as long as I stay under 50 hours.
    I'm going to see if there is anything else I can do for extra hours, and if maybe I could watch the classes on web cam so I could still tech.ically attend the classes but still be with the baby.