Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Length of pumping session/foremilk & hindmilk/RTW questions

Default Length of pumping session/foremilk & hindmilk/RTW questions

I RTW next week. I just pumped to replace a feeding session when I was away from home and got 9 oz. in less than 10 min. and before my milk stopped. That's more than enough for two bottles, and I'm going to take 4 3.5-4 oz. bottles for daycare. I currently feed from one or two sides seven to nine times a day, depending on whether he wants more when he's finished the first side. He usually finishes in 10 min. but will hang out for 20 if I let him. I do one side for night feedings.

1) Should I stop my pumping sessions at work when I get enough milk? I'm worried he won't get hindmilk that way.

2) I had planned to pump three times a day. Should I pump for two instead? I'm worried my supply will decrease if I do that.

Thanks for any guidance!

Default Re: Length of pumping session/foremilk & hindmilk/RTW questi

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ccsm View Post
    1) Should I stop my pumping sessions at work when I get enough milk? I'm worried he won't get hindmilk that way.
    There isn't a true distinction between fore- and hindmilk, just a gradual change in fat content throughout the feed. There is fat and fat soluble elements in all of your milk. Mixing all of your milk for the day can help with that. However, if your baby is not excessively gassy and uncomfortable, then it is not a problem and not something you need to worry about.

2) I had planned to pump three times a day. Should I pump for two instead? I'm worried my supply will decrease if I do that.
    I think you can pump twice a day for now, and pick up a third pumping session if it starts becoming more difficult to get enough milk for the day from just the two (which is likely to happen). I only pumped twice a day when I had oversupply, but needed to pump three times once my supply regulated. Pumping 9 ounces in under 10 minutes indicates oversupply, and that tends to even out after awhile. If you do decide to pump three times a day, you can always donate any milk that exceeds your ability to store and use.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

If you have time for it, I would still pump three times a day. The longer I pumped at work, the lower my enthusiasm got and the lower my supply. If you have the means to store it, I would pump as much as practical right now because later you may be grateful for the extra. And I would pump til "dry" if you have time for it. I got through the last few months of pumping on stores that I had made early in the process, and I was glad for it.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blue2000 View Post
    If you have the means to store it, I would pump as much as practical right now because later you may be grateful for the extra. And I would pump til "dry" if you have time for it.
    If it wasn't for the oversupply, I would agree with this. But when dealing with an oversupply (and pumping 9 ounces in 10 minutes in addition to nursing is typical of a significant oversupply), pumping copious amounts of extra milk generally is not a good idea. It can lead to some nasty problems (excessive gassiness and discomfort for your baby, engorgement, plugged ducts, potential infection). Pumping a little extra milk to keep just in case is not a bad idea, but I wouldn't overdo it with the pump. If you pump too much during the week at work, you might end up really uncomfortable on the weekend.

Think about it - 9 oz. 3x a day is 27 oz. If you are gone 10 hours, the absolute most your baby should take is 15 oz, leaving you with 12 oz. a day or 60 oz. a week. If your body is used to making that much extra milk, then you can end up pretty engorged on days off. Plus, unless you have a deep freezer, it will be difficult to store and use all of that in time. Even with a deep freezer, it's usually easier just to nurse, so it can still be really hard to use all of that milk without giving lots of unneccessary bottles - I had oversupply too and ended up with lots of extra milk from pumping just twice a day and couldn't get through it all.

You can try to pump some extra and see how it goes, but I wouldn't go crazy trying to stock up as much as possible; at least not until you see how much pumping on your work schedule is going to effect you and your baby. Pumping too much can cause more problems than it solves sometimes.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

You may find you can get away with two sessions at work. But it would not surprise me if eventually, when your OS goes away, that you need to add a third session back in.

There have been several mamas here who have a bad OS, and they managed to pump at work and not exacerbate the OS to bother baby. A couple pumped twice a day, a couple did shorter sessions.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!