Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do i have abnormally small nipples??

Default Re: do i have abnormally small nipples??

I had to lube my shields. And you get better suction control with an electric because you can turn the suction down. That might help with the pain, too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

i will try lubing them! how about coconut oil? it's my new favorite thing... the tubes will be here friday, i will probably just wait to pump again until then. wish i had known that the electric pump was so much better before i wasted my money on the manual one, oh well! also wish i had known about the ameda! i did a lot of research but sometimes you don't even know what information to look for until you've tried and failed some. thanks for the input ladies!

The Ameda isn't that great. It's fine, but I wouldn't say it's any better than any other professional grade pump. It's just that the soft shields are pretty small, which is good for me; that's all.

A manual pump can be nice to have if you need to pump in a pinch, so don't feel too bad about it. But the electric is much better in my experience.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I actually pumped with a manual for almost a year with my daughter and I loved it. But the electric ones are usually more efficient and have more features.

Hey! You have a Nora too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Hey! You have a Nora too.

I actually pumped for FIVE YEARS for my older kids with a manual and did just fine. I didnt work FT; if I had, I'd have wanted a double electric as I can do work while pumping with one.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually think you need to go up sizes! I have extremely small, flat, almost nonexistent nipples and the small shields were very painful. The whole tube should not be filled with just nipple-it sucks some areola in there too. I have used both a 30 and a 27 and now use a 27. Could not imagine using a 24 or smaller. And I have freakishly small nipples. Seriously.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I use a 36, which sucks in my entire areole, but anything st looked right was excruciating.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!