Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do i have abnormally small nipples??

Question do i have abnormally small nipples??

my baby girl is a month old and i have been trying to pump because i want her to be able to take a bottle so her dad or grandma can feed her sometimes. i have the smallest breast shield available for the medela pump (21mm) and it seems like it is still way too big, even for the larger of my nipples. as a result i am having a really hard time pumping because it hurts a lot and i'm a little worried that i could be doing damage. any advice? i know i have smallish nipples (the right one especially) but i can't believe i have the smallest nipples around! i do NOT have small breasts btw...

Default Re: do i have abnormally small nipples??

I think Medela has a soft shield; I wonder if that would work. I have small nipples (and breasts), and I used Ameda's soft shield and it worked much better than the small hard shield. I don't know if the Medela works the same way, but the Ameda soft shield seemed to be smaller than the smallest hard shield. It might be worth looking into.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Size of the nipple shouldn't matter so much as whether or not the pump is able to maintain suction. Babies don't nipple-feed, they breastfeed. The majority of the movement of the tongue and the majority of the suction is actually going to the areola, not the nipple. When you are pumping, does your nipple rub against the sides of the collection tube?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i am actually using a manual pump because i have not received the new tubes for my electric pump. i do think i am getting good suction (maybe too good!) as my areola gets sucked into the part of the breast shield that should be filled with my nipple. in fact i release it periodically because it really hurts and leaves the areola swollen around my nipple. i'm getting milk when i pump, it's just really painful. i will look into the soft shield...

holy cow! the medela soft shields are 50-55 bucks!

You might want to see if there is an LC close by who can fit you for shields. Honestly, I don't really know if the Medela shields will work, and that's a lot to spend on something that might not work at all. I used an Ameda pump, and the Ameda shields may be completely different, plus I'm pretty small all around (not just nipples). Finding the right size shields can make a really big difference.

I would try to get that electric pump up and running. Manual pumps are less effective than electric ones, and it may be that you have to pump harder and longer when using the manual than you would with the electric.

Have you tried hand-expressing? If you get good atit, you may be able to express a bottle rather than needing to pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with mommal.
    for an occasional bottle, hand expressing might be all you need.
    plus learning how to hand express is a great skill to have.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

The soft shields are a 24 anyway. I tried them.mdidnt work.
    have you ever lubed the horns with lanolin or olive oil?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yeah, the Ameda ones are way smaller than that.

with all of the above.