Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Default Re: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

I hope you get some good reassurance at the doc's.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She gained almost 10 ounces in five days! She's doing fabulous! My mama spidey senses were right on!

Now I'll have to find something else to worry about, eh?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

WOW. She's packing on the ounces, that's for sure! Way to go mama!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

ETA: you can either find more things to worry about, or maybe let her sleep a lil bit and enjoy having an easy baby and some rest!!!!

Well done!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

So Maggie is still pretty yellow (she's 2 weeks and 4 days). Her skin is yellowish, although it might be better than before, and the whites of her eyes are still pretty yellow. She was seen by the doc last week and she said the jaundice didn't look too bad. (I don't think she's gotten any worse since then and she might have gotten better?) But the midwife yesterday saw her and said she might have "breastmilk jaundice." I was reading up on Kellymom and Jack Newman, and it doesn't seem like this is anything to worry about if she's peeing clear liquid (she is) and gaining weight (she is). Anyone have experience with this? Should I call her pediatrician to have her looked at again or just ride it out?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Take off her clothes and see how far down the yellow goes. According to my pediatrician, if it's no farther than mid-chest, then the bili level is in the no-worries range. (Press her skin with a fingertip- the yellow will show up more clearly when the skin has been blanched by pressure.) If you're concerned, though, or you see yellow that's farther down than mid-chest, go and see the pediatrician! I know I always feel dumb when I waste a co-pay over nothing, but I'd rather do that 10 times than just once not take my kid in when I should have done.

Our hospital has a thing that they put to the babies forehead and it reads the bili level. Would it make you feel better to just have her checked?
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

The yellowness seems most intense down to about the mid-chest then it's better (but still a little yellow). I think I'll call the pedi on Monday if it's not noticeably improved by then. Otherwise, everything seems fine, so it doesn't seem like an urgent issue.

You can call me JoMo!