Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Default Re: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Doctor's visit went great. I shouldn't have worried about my awesome pedi, she was totally chill. Maggie weighed 7 lbs on their scale which would be a one ounce increase from yesterday. She said Maggie looks great, well hydrated, that it takes most babies two weeks to regain their birth weight. She wants me to reweigh her with the LC tomorrow or early next week to make sure she's gaining okay. Whew!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yay! So glad you have a supportive pedi! Sounds like she's doing wonderfully considering!!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Spent another night trying to wake this girl up to eat every three hours, and it is not easy. I'm exhausted, not from feeding her, but from this whole ridiculous routine it takes to wake her up (strip her naked, poke her, blow on her, etc., etc.). And I still don't feel like she's eating enough. She wasn't like this before the tongue clip! I'm tired.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

How much is she nursing during the day? What is her diaper count like? Do you think she might be getting more efficient during the day allowing her to go longer at night? If she seems okay in other ways, you might try letting her go a little longer, maybe 4 hours, and see if that helps. I have heard rumors that some babies actually sleep at night starting at a young age. I certainly have never experienced such a baby, but maybe after dealing with Joe's irregular sleep you are due for an easier baby

Well, she seems to be waking up a bit and becoming more demanding, which is AWESOME as far as I'm concerned. Never thought I'd be so happy to see the two week fussies starting to kick in, but now she's eating like a champ and waking up a bit more, and I'm feeling much better. She still went a couple longer stretches (4 hours) last night, but she got some really good feedings in too, so I feel more relaxed now. For the two nights before that it seemed like she would NEVER wake up if I didn't wake her - she was difficult to wake after 4 hours, which is kind of freaky. But last night she was up and asking to nurse, yay!

You can call me JoMo!

Getting Maggie's weight checked tomorrow, and I'm hoping she's on track and I can stop worrying about her weight! If not, my pump is arriving tomorrow, and I'll start pumping and supplementing with pumped breastmilk. But fingers crossed everything looks great. I'd guess she's giving us about 10 wet diapers and at least 5 poops a day, so that's right on target. (I did start keeping track today, just so that I can tell the LC exactly what her output is tomorrow.) Maggie still sleeps a LOT, but she is also alert and calm a lot during the day, and just does not hit me as a baby who is not getting enough to eat!

You can call me JoMo!

Good luck at the doctor's tomorrow. It really sounds like she is doing fine. How is nursing going? I hope you're starting to heal.

Well, it's much improved, but my nipples are still coming out creased and it's ouchy when she first latches on. I am doing the tongue exercises my LC gave me and I am hopeful that it will continue to improve.

You can call me JoMo!

P.S. I just broke out my hand pump and pumped the fuller side for a few minutes for kicks (because I wanted to reassure myself that I have plenty of milk, I guess) and I was able to pump a largish amount (3 oz) in less than five minutes, no problemo. So I really, really, really don't think my supply is an issue here. Jeez. Really hope that weight check verifies what I already strongly suspect - she's getting plenty and everything is fine.

You can call me JoMo!