Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Default Re: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

The tongue tie was clipped this morning! It was super fast and easy, but now Maggie is the most fussy she's ever been and is basically refusing to latch on. I'm sending DH to the store to pick up some tylenol for the lil' bub. I think it hurts her.

And I got hit with another curve ball. I took her back to the LC to check in, and we weighed her. To my disappointment, she still hasn't regained her birth weight, and if the scale she was weighed on on Friday can be trusted (and it probably can't), she has only gained one ounce in five days. The thing is, she seems to be thriving! She's drinking milk, she's giving me tons of wets and poops, she seems moist and definitely not dehydrated, and I could have sworn she was chubbing up a bit around her chin. Everytime I feed her, it's like a milk bath for both of us, my milk comes out so strong. How could she not be gaining weight?? When I saw the scale, though, I felt my confidence plummet through the floor practically. I really was just so surprised and dismayed. I burst into tears right there. The poor LC had to give me a massive pep talk. She reminded me that she has been weighed on three different scales, and the only finely calibrated digital scales were at the hospital and then at her office - the in between scales were balance scales and probably inaccurate, so it's possible she had lost more weight post-birth than we realized and is regaining it well. She said she is in the business of telling women that their babies are not getting enough food, but my baby doesn't show any of the danger signs she looks for. She's calm, content, and alert, which is not what she usually sees in babies not getting enough milk. She's not ruling out an issue removing milk, likely caused by the tongue tie, but Maggie doesn't hit her as an obviously malnourished baby. So that's good. But boy, I sure didn't expect THAT problem! Joe put on the pounds after he was born, fueled by my oversupply and OALD. Immediately when I saw that scale, I felt this sinking sensation, like maybe in my efforts to avoid OS this time, I overshot and killed my supply? And now my baby isn't getting enough to eat? WTH?

Maggie has a well check tomorrow and my goal is to feed her as often as possible between now and then. No paci, just boob, boob, and more boob.

Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 18th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Oy, you've been through the wringer with this little one! I'm so glad the TT was clipped, and I hope the discomfort is temporary.

Please don't let the scale throw you. As you said, you're seeing lots of wets and poops, and you know you have plenty of milk. If there's a problem, which I doubt, it's surely fixable.

Just keep hanging in there, mama! You're doing so well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

JoMagMo, you know better! There are too many confounding factors here. How much the difference in scales can make a baby's weight appear off. You also know that if you zoom in too close on the data, you'll get an inaccurate picture, she's only 9 days old for goodness sakes! I bet you'll go in tomorrow and see good gain. And even if she has been a bit slow off the starting gates on weight gain, probably now that her tongue is freed, she'll be catching up in no time. I think you also know that if you're both in a milk bath that your supply is great and nothing to worry about.
    Mama, a , a deep breath. It's going to be ok.

Ps, your kiddos are peaches!

JoMo,

I read your post and you describe her, and from the outside, she sounds fine. Your supply sounds fine. You are a smart, intuitive woman who understands breast feeding and it's ins and outs. If you read that paragraph you wrote from someone else, I'm sure you would tell them to ignore than weight. You know your baby, and you know what a well baby looks like and what a sick baby looks like. Hang in there. You are doing awesome, and if she's having wets and poops, she'll gain that weight sooner or later. I bet that if anything is wrong, it's that she lost more than you thought and now is gaining it back. Don't worry!!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I really think she's fine - thriving, even! She looks to me like a happy, plump newborn! I'm just hoping to see some reassuring weight gain here. I don't want to have to deal with her doctor freaking out and pushing supplements on me. I thought everything was going so well. It's amazing how one little number can send you into a spiral of self-doubt, huh?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Give it a week or so, then worry if her weight does not come up and I bet it will.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Dear JoMO,

I cried right with you when Maggie was weighed in.
    you know she is thriving, trust your feelings.
    You are a proactive mother. Your instincts are always spot on.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I'm glad the tongue tie situation has been resolved. Hang in there - I'm sure she is chunking right up and it was a fluke with the scales. You're doing great!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'm hanging in there. Breastfeeding seems to be very slowly improving on its own, thank goodness, but I'll still be really glad to see that ENT tomorrow!

Joe decided he might like to try holding Maggie today (until now he was too shy/freaked out to even want to touch her, and I didn't want to push the issue). See my new siggy photo below. My goodness, I have been blessed with the most beautiful children!!
    !

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hey everyone! Well, last night was a bit tough. Maggie was soooooo sleepy. She did not want to nurse. It was really frustrating and a little alarming for me. But this morning she seemed a ton better and we just slept in together and nursed a bunch. Now she's nursing pretty frequently again. I think her tongue was really bothering her yesterday, and today it seems better. Her latch still hurts, but she can stick her tongue out way farther than before, so I have hopes that we can retrain her latch. I'm heading to the doctor's office in a few minutes here. We'll see if they even have a digital scale to weigh her on. If they give me a hard time about her weight, I'll tell them I'm working with a LC to resolve her issues.

PS: Last night, DH was saying, "so, um, I think maybe Maggie got the tongue tie from me?" Sure enough, he has a posterior tongue tie just like Maggie's! He's never been able to stick his tongue far out, but didn't realize this was unusual until we started looking at Maggie's. And being bottle fed, it obviously wasn't an issue for him as an infant.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 19th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

You can call me JoMo!