Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Default Re: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Hang in there - I'm thinking of you and hoping things improve soon.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

dear Jo mo,
    congrats!!!

just wanted to share that rinsing nipples with warm saline between feedings helped me greatly in healing cracked nipples.

hope things get better for you soon

Hang in there, mama. You're awesome for making it this far.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! Saline rinsing is actually a really good idea, I'll do that! Mommal, quitting is just not an option, right? Not going to happen. I can be pretty determined. But, I totally want some morphine for these feedings! (At least I'm finally allowed the occasional beer.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I've been thinking of you. I am so sorry you are going through this. Do you think you could get some pain medication for yourself at least until her tongue gets clipped? I am normally not one to take pain meds since they typically make me nauseous, but I actually did take some of my leftover c-section drugs when things got really painful in the beginning while nursing DS. They helped keep thing bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    quitting is just not an option, right?
    Honestly, I think quitting IS an option. I nearly did. The first month, there were so many times when I laid my head on my DH's shoulder and bawled that the next feeding was going to be the last, and after that it was going to be bottles and she'll be fine, right? Just fine? Plenty of people are raised on formula and they turn out okay, right?

The only thing that separates the people who give up from the ones who make it through to the nice, fun parts of breastfeeding is sheer stubbornness and the belief that no matter how rotten it is at the moment, it's going to get better. You can do this, mama, I know you can!!!

I think the hardest thing about breastfeeding is that no-one can do it for you, no-one can take over for a couple hours so that you can heal and gather your energy... The fact that you haven't thrown in the towel means that you are an amazingly strong and determined mama and if you can just keep making it through one more feeding, and then one more after that, you're going to get to the good parts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Maggie had a good night, and I feel like things are actually getting a little better? My nipples are no longer actually bleeding, and the scabs are soft and okay for now. Latching on HURTS so bad! But the rest of the feeding it's just uncomfy, not actually excruciating ... Maybe the positioning help is really making a difference. The LC said that I might be able to get her to the point where she is not doing "additional tissue damage" through positioning? I'm feeling a little more hopeful, which is good, because Tuesday feels like a LONG time from now.

I also feel like just gritting my teeth through the engorgement is helping. My breasts already feel less crazy hard and I haven't resorted to pumping once - just massage, warm compresses, and ice.

Seeing as I am a hormonal mess right now, I'm sure this hopeful period will be short-lived, but it's good, right? So instead of freaking out about breastfeeding, I'm worrying about money and getting through my maternity instead. Jeez, I am a stereotype of the postpartum woman right now, freaking out, anxious, and just generally crazy!!

P.S. With regard to quitting, I've personally found the idea to be more than just ideologically problematic (like, how would I maintain my breastfeeding cred if I quit and FF?). Because I have O/S, weaning sounds like a massive PITA, possibly more of a PITA than just nursing through a bunch of pain, etc. It is one great advantage to having a plentiful milk supply - it makes it much more difficult to just throw in the towel. So I mix stubbornness with a healthy fear of being excruciatingly engorged and getting mastitis.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 14th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am glad things are looking up. I was thinking of you. The silicone breast shields helped me heal a lot, too. I also second saline soaks. gentle hugs.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

JoMagMo, not to project too much, but your situation sounds exactly like mine 5.5 weeks ago except for the tongue tie - which of course makes yours worse but your pain/scabbing/engorgement sounds just like mine was...it is fresh in mind but it did start to get much better after a few days.
    I had your mindset - quitting was NOT an option for me and patience/stubbornness paid off for us. I think it will for you too. Keep your chin up (and Maggie's down, haha).

I also forgot to mention that I did block feeding; that helped with the oversupply and also gave my nipples a longer break in between feedings to speed healing. Just a thought...

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Just now had a chance to catch up, sorry about the triple whammy I hope things go well with the ENT tomorrow and you can get it taken care of in the office! Hang in there!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14